+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [PC advisory] Disable E-cores on 12th and 13th gen Intel for Counter-Strike source

A.K.A. Fuzzy Donut
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 0%
    bcarm17 will become famous soon enough bcarm17 will become famous soon enough bcarm17's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [N] bcarm17     $ 0.00

Post [PC advisory] Disable E-cores on 12th and 13th gen Intel for Counter-Strike source

After a bit of testing, I've found measurable issues with Counter-Strike Source and Intel's newest chips.

The two key issues found are as follows:
    1. USB input timing and consistency
    2. Frame time consistency

Both of these issues are due to the way Counter-Strike Source interacts with Intel's new efficiency cores.

Both of these issues WILL negatively affect your ability to hit your target.

What can you do to work around the issues?

For older game titles including ones that run on source engine, you need to disable or park the E-cores.
    This requires that you enter you computers bios and make the appropriate changes.
    Every motherboard vendor has a different layout, so it's very tricky to write a guide. So if anyone needs help to do this tweak, please post under this thread, find me on steam or email me directly.

Is there any down sides to this tweak?

Yes there is. In applications and games that properly support the new E-cores, you will see a measurable decrease in performance.

For example, with my Intel i7 13700, I saw as much as 20% performance drop in 7zip.

So please take that into consideration before making these changes.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bcarm17 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 144

Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [JA] Rubicon     $ 460.00
    Good to see someone come up with a reason why they suck which doesn't involve rego or hackers. Can we promote this guy?
    I want to live forever. So far so good.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 347

WAke has much to be proud of WAke has much to be proud of WAke has much to be proud of WAke has much to be proud of WAke has much to be proud of WAke has much to be proud of WAke has much to be proud of WAke has much to be proud of WAke has much to be proud of WAke has much to be proud of WAke's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [JA] WAke     $ 364.32
    12900k msi mag z790 tomohawk help

A.K.A. Fuzzy Donut
    bcarm17 will become famous soon enough bcarm17 will become famous soon enough bcarm17's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by WAke View Post
    12900k msi mag z790 tomohawk help

Turn PC off. Press power button , then press Delete key repeatedly until you enter the bios.

You'll want to select advanced mode button at the top middle.

Select OC

Look for an option called "Per E-Core Control"

Select "Enable and Dis All E-Core"

Click the X in the top right-hand side

Click save and exit

and that should be it.

add me to discord if you need further assistance.

https://www.hwcooling.net/en/test-di...ore-i9-12900k/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MXa...ng4BuckPCGamer
    Last edited by bcarm17; 27-05-23 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Making my instructions less vague

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bcarm17 For This Useful Post:

Monkey Crew
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 100.0%

PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [S] PigSy     $ 1065.00
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarm17 View Post
    Turn PC off. Press power button , then press Delete key repeatedly until you enter the bios.

https://www.hwcooling.net/en/test-di...ore-i9-12900k/
    LMAO, Wakey will need more help than that, a literal step by step guide

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PigSy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 144

Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [JA] Rubicon     $ 460.00
    Maybe Wake could join me in downgrading to a $50 potato laptop to play on, it'd probably be simpler and we'd have less chance of setting the computer on fire by mistake or something

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Waku Waku
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Supreme002 is on a distinguished road Supreme002's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [N] Supreme002     $ 0.00
    good find but i got amd so L to all the intel users

A.K.A. Fuzzy Donut
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme002 View Post
    good find but i got amd so L to all the intel users

Do you have "resizable bar" and "Above 4G" enabled?

If so, disable both for older titles like Counter-Strike Source. It'll should improve latency.

But rebar and Above 4G is required for good frame rates in some modern titles.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bcarm17 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 311

Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Sariи     $ 70.00
    After a bit of testing, I've found measurable issues with Counter-Strike Source and Intel's newest chips.

Both of these issues are due to the way Counter-Strike Source interacts with Intel's new efficiency cores.

For older game titles including ones that run on source engine, you need to disable or park the E-cores.
    This requires that you enter you computers bios and make the appropriate changes.
    Every motherboard vendor has a different layout, so it's very tricky to write a guide. So if anyone needs help to do this tweak, please post under this thread, find me on steam or email me directly.

Yes there is. In applications and games that properly support the new E-cores, you will see a measurable decrease in performance.

For example, with my Intel i7 13700, I saw as much as 20% performance drop in 7zip.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Wake showed me this post. Very interesting. I didn't try it as I was going to try and assign the cores manually but 1st i ran steam as administrator. To me its a big difference. Did you by any chance try that?
    R.I.P Recoil/♥♥♥n Stab Ya Mate, you'll be missed.
    DtK Nilla Server

Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи has a reputation beyond repute Sariи's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Sariи     $ 70.00
    Quote Originally Posted by PigSy View Post
    LMAO, Wakey will need more help than that, a literal step by step guide
    Even then he'll f%k it up

Total Donations For

Sariи     $ 70.00
    Do you have "resizable bar" and "Above 4G" enabled?

If so, disable both for older titles like Counter-Strike Source. It'll should improve latency.

But rebar and Above 4G is required for good frame rates in some modern titles.
    Any idea why that effects it? there any links?

Waku Waku
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Supreme002 is on a distinguished road Supreme002's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [N] Supreme002     $ 0.00
    i got rebar i think not sure tho but my latency is already good so its chill and css runs as good as csgo but thanks for heads up mate
    Last edited by Supreme002; 28-05-23 at 05:31 AM.

A.K.A. Fuzzy Donut
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by Sariи View Post
    Any idea why that effects it? there any links?

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...hmarks,13.html

It's very game dependent. But in my testing, older titles (such as Skyrim and Counter-Strike Source) that aren't optimized for large mem allocation have a small increase of latency. In theory equating to slightly choppier game play.
    The effect was barely perceivable but measurable.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bcarm17 For This Useful Post:

Total Donations For

Sariи     $ 70.00

Hey mate,
    So my suggestion on this as well would be setting the affinity rather than disabling the cores. It didnt make any difference in the stutter for me tho. Google it. you can assign what core to the program

EDIT: I do really suggest running steam as admin as I feel this helped the most

Double Edit: Just learnt this isn't set permanently
    Last edited by Sariи; 29-05-23 at 02:11 AM.

A.K.A. Fuzzy Donut
    Total Donations For

Hey mate,
    So my suggestion on this as well would be setting the affinity rather than disabling the cores. It didnt make any difference in the stutter for me tho. Google it. you can assign what core to the program

EDIT: I do really suggest running steam as admin as I feel this helped the most

Double Edit: Just learnt this isn't set permanently

Not to mention you can't easily set affinities under linux. If anyone wants to add me on Discord.
    My addy is FuzzyDonut#1938. I can help make the appropriate changes via video call.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bcarm17 For This Useful Post:

Total Donations For

Sariи     $ 70.00
    Not to mention you can't easily set affinities under linux. If anyone wants to add me on Discord.
    My addy is FuzzyDonut#1938. I can help make the appropriate changes via video call.
    So i just set the affinity for CS and its smooth as silk. I have a 13900KS and i set core 0 to 15 and the glitch has stopped. Thanks heaps for the help/info!!!!

Total Donations For

Sariи     $ 70.00
    Haven't worked it out yet but here is a start for anyone interested.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-ee891c38b737

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Hawcal is on a distinguished road Hawcal's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Hawcal     $ 0.00
    Haven't worked it out yet but here is a start for anyone interested.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-ee891c38b737softswiss
    About the processor choice, that's new. I've never done that before. Has anyone tried it? Does it work without error? Because Microsoft sometimes gives wrong advice
    Last edited by Hawcal; 13-10-23 at 10:16 PM.

Total Donations For

Sariи     $ 70.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawcal View Post
    About the processor choice, that's new. I've never done that before. Has anyone tried it? Does it work without error? Because Microsoft sometimes gives wrong advice
    I don't have a great answer. I get glitches still. Tried a bunch of different things. Not sure if issue with hardware tho

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information