+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ok techheads, I need some advice

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 309
    Overall activity: 0%

Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [JA] Rubicon     $ 460.00

Ok techheads, I need some advice

I'm contemplating buying a laptop to run Autodesk on (along with a bit of surfing, putting roblox on for the kids, and not much else) and would want something which doesn't cost much more than half a bag of semi-chewed pretzels and a kiss from my less attractive sister. The specs needed are here

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...ntor-2020.html

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Second hand is fine.

Cheers ma dears. I am hopeless at this type of thing.
    I want to live forever. So far so good.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Lyrical Spiritual Miracle
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 99.1%

SeNa is a jewel in the rough SeNa is a jewel in the rough SeNa is a jewel in the rough SeNa is a jewel in the rough SeNa's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [JA] SeNa     $ 120.00
    Any reason why you are going for a laptop? Better bang for buck will almost always be a desktop. I used to do IT for an architecture firm that ran high specs required for AutoDesk products and they were using Dell desktops. They were using these for Revit and AutoCad and are pretty good for their value now: https://www.reboot-it.com.au/p/Used-Computers/Xeon/HP-Z420-Workstation-Xeon-E5-1650-V2-3.5GHz-16GB-50/130387
    (copy paste above link, for some reason it links to another listing for a similar computer)

(upgrade the hard drive if you decide to get this computer though. Older style spinning disk hard drives are super slow compared to SSDs. Can get a cheap 512GB SSD for under $80 if you look hard enough).

If you're savvy enough as well you can buy a second hand Quadro Card or 900/1000 series Nvidia graphics card (GTX 970 or GTX 1050ti/1060) and put it in that Dell Z420 and have a relatively cheap build that can also run games.

If you're set on a laptop, getting one second hand with the right specs graphics wise will be hard.

I found this for a laptop. If you really want to future proof yourself I'd suggest something like this: https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops...H/p/20YM0046AU

Currently listed at half price (I know it's $1.7k but the specs in it are well worth that price, this site listed it as being 50% off at the moment).

If you find any other computers that you think would be a good fit for you send them my way and I'll give you my opinion on them
    Last edited by SeNa; 30-11-21 at 02:17 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeNa For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information