+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rough Idea, don't hurt me

y i k e s
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 0%

Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Ham     $ 100.00

Lightbulb Rough Idea, don't hurt me

Alright no fancy colours or gifs or text size changes or propaganda, I'm gonna cut straight to it.

The DtK member system is outdated.

It is very rare for a community to have an extensive range of member groups such as DtK. For newer players who aren't aware, DtK has 5 (or 6 if you include Life Member) different Member ranks. Personally I believe this is a great system as it rewards longstanding members of the community or individuals who have made a significant contribution to the servers, to be worn as a badge of honour.

However, as I have previously stated and noticed in recent applications (and I may be getting this wrong), players aren't sure on what they are actually signing up to. Sure this isn't a big issue but I still think that with a new playerbase it may be time for change.

There are 3 things in which I suggest could be done, of course these are rough ideas and I honestly don't expect any of them to be followed up on.

1. Add a Ts and Cs pop-up that has forum rules and outlines the DtK member system appear when people click the "Apply Here" thing to make an application. Make sure they click something like "I have read and understood the message".

2. Change the application itself, whether it be changing existing questions or adding one in saying "Do you know what you are applying for, if so what is it?" This can be done in order to see if people making applications understand what they are applying for, if they say [N] tags or w/e then all good but if they say admin, staff or any admin really can explain how membership and admin applications work within DtK.

3. Reform the Membership System, this is my most sceptical idea but maybe implement a system in which if a player has more than 25 non spectator hours globally and more than 10 Forum Posts, they message staff and upon processing via PM, they can receive like a [R]egular rank. For other ranks such as [M] and [T] maybe merge them into one group too with the same promotion process that currently exists.

Also members who are inactive for more than 3 years should probably be demoted, with exceptions (i mean ranks lower than [JEDI]). I understand this isnt an easy job though so its all good.

As I said these are very rough ideas and I would love to hear other opinions on this matter, and if I'm wrong in assuming most new people don't understand the system then thats all good too.

- Ham

y i k e s

Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Oh and when I say member system, I am not only refering to ranks but the application its self

Senior Administrator
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 570
    Overall activity: 99.8%

WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [SA] WalkerBoh     $ 325.00
    Just to add to that, has there ever been or will there / could there be a rank in between JA and SA? Like just plain Admin or A or something as a step up for people who have been JA's for more than 2 years say, but have no real option to become SA's as the current ones are still very active?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WalkerBoh For This Useful Post:

Casual Member
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 237
    The_Tactical_Bacon is a jewel in the rough The_Tactical_Bacon is a jewel in the rough The_Tactical_Bacon is a jewel in the rough The_Tactical_Bacon is a jewel in the rough The_Tactical_Bacon's Avatar
    Total Donations For

The_Tactical_Bacon     $ 0.00
    I like the idea of demoting inactive users as there seems to be a lot of them making up the lower ranks, [M] and [N] in particular.
    YEP

AKA Qi_Bishop
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Onesks     $ 20.02
    I like the [R]egular idea, same with the demoting the inactive users.

The Real Shadow
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 620

Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Shadow     $ 100.00
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkerBoh View Post
    Just to add to that, has there ever been or will there / could there be a rank in between JA and SA? Like just plain Admin or A or something as a step up for people who have been JA's for more than 2 years say, but have no real option to become SA's as the current ones are still very active?
    i dont think there is a need for JA's to rank themselves more important than others...

and ham, last time i knew i think they did demote inactive players (of course not JEDI's, but V and T at least), i dont know if that still happens though

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadow For This Useful Post:

Casual Member
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 189
    mjrmooseknuckle is a glorious beacon of light mjrmooseknuckle is a glorious beacon of light mjrmooseknuckle is a glorious beacon of light mjrmooseknuckle is a glorious beacon of light mjrmooseknuckle is a glorious beacon of light mjrmooseknuckle is a glorious beacon of light mjrmooseknuckle's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [V] mjrmooseknuckle     $ 0.00
    I personally don't mind walkerboh's idea, as those new to [JA] can garner some confidence from knowing there are [A]'s to which they can also receive support from with server related matters. Not to say [SA]'s don't do an exceptional job in this regard, but it can take time to become a sound admin and at the end of the day it's a team minded approach...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mjrmooseknuckle For This Useful Post:

AKA Qi_Bishop

Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Idk about the [A] idea, seems a bit admin-crowded, seems a bit too much and might confuse new players.

Senior Administrator
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 570
    Overall activity: 99.8%

WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [SA] WalkerBoh     $ 325.00
    My thinking wasn't about ranking anyone above anyone else, more just some interactions I've personally had from the abusive players we get from time to time, who like to point out that you are only a Junior Admin and have been for soo long, that you must be too bad to be anything else.

I used to let that sort of thing get to me, but under KO's expert guidance, along with some staff and other SA's, I no longer care about it. Ham's post just got me thinking about it is all. I love the honour of being a DtK admin, and care less whether it's senior or junior, but I vaguely recall seeing someone with an [A] once early on in my time on DtK servers, and was wondering if I'm seeing things or if it was ever a thing, or if it's been thought of.

The Pussy Prince
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 290

the presidant has a reputation beyond repute the presidant has a reputation beyond repute the presidant has a reputation beyond repute the presidant has a reputation beyond repute the presidant has a reputation beyond repute the presidant has a reputation beyond repute the presidant has a reputation beyond repute the presidant has a reputation beyond repute the presidant has a reputation beyond repute the presidant has a reputation beyond repute the presidant has a reputation beyond repute the presidant's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [V] the presidant     $ 10.00
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrmooseknuckle View Post
    I personally don't mind walkerboh's idea, as those new to [JA] can garner some confidence from knowing there are [A]'s to which they can also receive support from with server related matters. Not to say [SA]'s don't do an exceptional job in this regard, but it can take time to become a sound admin and at the end of the day it's a team minded approach...
    Seems a little silly to add an inbetween rank, atleast in my admin experience for DTK the JA's were confident enough to talk to eachother and work as a group to come up with solutions for the server, bans or whatever was needed. Being close to your co-admins is a bit part of managing a server and you should be confident enough to speak to the JA's, because you're all there for the same reason.

ot; rank cleanups r cool they've happened in the past and i think doing them more frequently would make ranks more valuable, and something to achieve by being in the community

11:40 PM - LeKrez James: you are actually
    11:40 PM - LeKrez James: the only person in dtk
    11:40 PM - LeKrez James: that i simply cannot hate
    11:40 PM - LeKrez James: omg same with jet, shaq and jonesy
    11:40 PM - LeKrez James: you 4 guys omg

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the presidant For This Useful Post:

HOF,Former Zombie SA and TTT JA
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Dark Necessities has a reputation beyond repute Dark Necessities has a reputation beyond repute Dark Necessities has a reputation beyond repute Dark Necessities has a reputation beyond repute Dark Necessities has a reputation beyond repute Dark Necessities has a reputation beyond repute Dark Necessities has a reputation beyond repute Dark Necessities has a reputation beyond repute Dark Necessities has a reputation beyond repute Dark Necessities has a reputation beyond repute Dark Necessities has a reputation beyond repute Dark Necessities's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Dark Necessities     $ 0.00
    My concern, recently anyway - is the amount of applications to DTK that say they want to admin/how they would admin.
    It's coming across as people are joining to become admins, not be part of this awesome community, contribute and if lucky/considered be asked to admin.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dark Necessities For This Useful Post:

AKA Qi_Bishop

Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by brittyboyshaun View Post
    My concern, recently anyway - is the amount of applications to DTK that say they want to admin/how they would admin.
    It's coming across as people are joining to become admins, not be part of this awesome community, contribute and if lucky/considered be asked to admin.
    I think that links into what Ham was saying about "knowing what someone is applying for" and explaining what you ARE applying for.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Onesks For This Useful Post:

FRAGILE send with care.
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Undercover Martyn     $ 0.00
    Quote Originally Posted by brittyboyshaun View Post
    Considering there are messages on our servers advocating that DtK is looking for players to admin, it's not much of a surprise to see people joining with the hopes of being promoted to admin, and I don't think it's too concerning either.

On the admin ranks note, I don't think there's a need for a 3rd tier of admin (JA - A - SA), but perhaps rather just replace "Junior Admin" with simply "Admin", as some people who are JA's clearly aren't new or inexperienced in the role as might be inferred from the title.
    Last edited by Undercover Martyn; 27-01-16 at 08:49 PM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Undercover Martyn For This Useful Post:

y i k e s

Total Donations For

^^^^^ About the apps, that's what I said, it isn't an issue but I just don't think players understand.

Casual Member
    mjrmooseknuckle is a glorious beacon of light mjrmooseknuckle is a glorious beacon of light mjrmooseknuckle is a glorious beacon of light mjrmooseknuckle is a glorious beacon of light mjrmooseknuckle is a glorious beacon of light mjrmooseknuckle is a glorious beacon of light mjrmooseknuckle's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by WraithKiller69 View Post
    Seems a little silly to add an inbetween rank, atleast in my admin experience for DTK the JA's were confident enough to talk to eachother and work as a group to come up with solutions for the server, bans or whatever was needed. Being close to your co-admins is a bit part of managing a server and you should be confident enough to speak to the JA's, because you're all there for the same reason.
    Not disagreeing with your point, my point was in regards to guidance rather than confidence in the ability to communicate effectively ([SA]'s are great in guiding new admins like myself). However, I did see credit in also having a seasoned admin position who can also provide clarification in the brief absence of an [SA].

You're absolutely right, it is important to be a close knit admin team (Which from my experience Dtk excels at). As it is to have discussion around these things and experience multiple points of view.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mjrmooseknuckle For This Useful Post:

The Real Shadow
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 620

Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Shadow     $ 100.00
    Not disagreeing with your point, my point was in regards to guidance rather than confidence in the ability to communicate effectively ([SA]'s are great in guiding new admins like myself). However, I did see credit in also having a seasoned admin position who can also provide clarification in the brief absence of an [SA].

You're absolutely right, it is important to be a close knit admin team (Which from my experience Dtk excels at). As it is to have discussion around these things and experience multiple points of view.
    if their is absence of your SA, and you need clarification then im sure any staff member can help with that one

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadow For This Useful Post:

AKA Qi_Bishop

Total Donations For

So what like a backup [SA] lets say?

Casual Member
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Dyelon has a spectacular aura about Dyelon has a spectacular aura about Dyelon's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [M] Dyelon     $ 0.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Qi_Bishop View Post
    So what like a backup [SA] lets say?
    Well an SA runs their JA team and server, so like a Veteran/experienced admin who still handles the JA tasks, but is distinguished by their experience is what id assume.
    Ya boy palpatine

Casual Member
    Total Donations For

Just like a seasoned admin who has valuable experience - at least more of that than a fresh [JA]. If that's a 2IC type position than so be it.

AKA Qi_Bishop

Total Donations For

Ahhh okay,

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information