+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mouse Optimisation basics pt.2

The Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0%

Benje has a spectacular aura about Benje has a spectacular aura about Benje has a spectacular aura about Benje's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [V] Benje     $ 10.00

Mouse Optimisation basics pt.2

basics

1.4 - USB vs. PS/2 ports

1.5 - DPI related to in-game sensitivity
    1.6 - Find a good sensitivity.

1.4 - USB vs. PS/2 ports

Many mice include a USB to PS/2 adapter or vice versa when you get them. So the question of what port is better to plug into may arise. There is not an ideal port to plug every mouse into. PS/2 is the standard mouse interface that's existed as long as I've been playing games, USB is newer. The default report rate for USB is 125hz and for PS/2 it is 100hz, so if you aren't tweaking anything USB is going to be 25% faster and you may or may not feel that performance. Now I will just list the pros and cons of each interface. Give either one a try and see which you prefer using.

PS/2 Mouse Port
    • You free up a USB port on computers without many USB ports.
    • When you increase the report rate on a PS/2 port, it only effects the mouse.
    • The way to overclock a PS/2 port is a little easier to do than overclocking a USB port.
    • PS/2 mice can't be plugged in when the computer is on.
    • The performance is really slow at just 100hz, until you do some tweaking.
    • You often can't overclock the port to as high speeds.
    • Sometimes buttons besides the scroll wheel and the main 5 may not function without the driver.
    • Some optical mice may not turn off their sensor even if you power down your system which wastes energy.
    USB Port
    • USB works a little faster by default, and can be overclocked to 250, 500 or 1000hz.
    • Turns off when your computer turns off.
    • If the mouse is designed for USB most features will work correctly with just the windows driver.
    • New mice like the G5 or Krait may automatically work at a higher frequency like 500hz or 1000hz.
    • Overclocking your USB bus may affect every USB device on your computer, which may cause problems if other devices can't handle the speed.
    • The way to overclock a USB port takes longer and more expertise than PS/2 which has a setting right in Device Manager.
    • Some computers may only have 2 or 4 USB ports if they are very old, and this uses one up.

Anyways I advise you use USB for the very best performance, unless you have no other choice. A higher report rate makes your cursor movement smoother, especially when you are aiming quickly. However try both interfaces if you want to and decide which works best for you.

1.5 - DPI related to in-game sensitivity

If your mouse does NOT have adjustable dpi then you can skip this chapter if you want to!

People who do not use the driver may have preset options like: 400, 800 or 1600dpi. The important thing is to use the full capability of the mouse when playing CS:S. No matter what sensitivity you play the game at, you really should use your mouse on it's highest dpi setting while in-game. This gives the finest precision and makes movement feel noticeably smoother. The only exception to this rule is players using a very low sensitivity may sometimes be able to reduce negative acceleration at a lower dpi setting.

Although this is certainly not a rule. For example, the best low sensitivity mouse made, the DeathAdder, has a glitch that causes it to have worse tracking and more negative accel at less than it's maximum 1800dpi. Using less than the maximum will not fix skipping, only negative acceleration. (move the mouse so you turn 180 degrees, measure the distance moved, move the mouse very quickly so you turn 180 degrees, if it takes farther, thats negative accel) Laser and other bad mice may tend to skip at high speeds regardless of what dpi they are using. In general though I still recommend you use the maximum dpi of a mouse.

The reason why you perhaps haven't used the highest resolution of the mouse is because you found a sensitivity that you like and don't want to mess it up by making the mouse faster. Here is a formula for calculating what your new in-game sensitivity should be when you switch dpi settings:
    [(Current dpi) x (In-game sensitivity)] / (Maximum dpi) = (New Sensitivity for max dpi)

Using this formula you wont change the overall sensitivity in CS:S. For example if I'm using a 400dpi mouse at in-game sensitivity 0.750, and then I buy a Razer DeathAdder, I will use it at 1800dpi but reduce my in-game sensitivity to 0.167 and my overall sensitivity stays just as slow. (~25 inches to turn 180)

Just because some mice can do a very high dpi, does not mean you should upgrade to them for dpi alone. There is a simple formula for approximating how much dpi your mouse actually needs to have to not cause any problems with precision. The ideal is that each input from the mouse turns you just one pixel or less on the game screen. This formula works because the standard CS:S field of view is 90 degrees at a 4:3 aspect resolution. The number of vertical pixels is the second number in your resolution. (like 768 in 1024x768 or 1200 in 1920x1200)
    [(Vertical # of pixels at in-game resolution) x 2.667] / (inches needed to make a 180 turn) = (Necessary DPI)

This shows how much dpi is actually useful for the sensitivity and resolution you wish to play at. For example if I play at 1024x768 and want to turn 180 in 3 inches, it would say I need at least 700dpi to do that and still have pixel accuracy inside the game.

At higher sensitivities and resolutions there is certainly some benefit of extra dpi. Once you go beyond what this formula says you actually need there will be a point where you can't even notice it anymore. Because you get aiming precision way smaller than one pixel. An example of this would easily be sensitivity .25 at 2000dpi. A player who uses this wouldn't even notice any difference in their accuracy switching to a 400dpi mouse. Having more dpi than you need does not hinder you. Having less dpi than you need does.

This is a general guideline:
    • Low sensitivity (8+ inches to turn 180) can get away with any dpi higher than 200 without affecting the game. Maximum tracking speed is more important for these players.
    • Medium sensitivity (4-8” to turn 180) will probably want at least a 400dpi mouse but 800dpi could benefit some who play at higher than 1024x768.
    • High sensitivity (under 4”) will want at least 1000dpi and even beyond with faster settings. These players see the most benefit from more dpi.

1.6 - Find a good sensitivity.

I have to touch on this subject as there are far too many questions about it and I have my own opinion about it, but I just want to lay out some facts. Your sensitivity is a preference, low sensitivity is not always better than high sensitivity, high sens is not better than low sens. If you were to experiment around with a range of different sensitivities you would find there would probably be some sensitivity for you. You know it's a good setting if above it you play worse, and below it you play worse.

People debate about high and low sensitivity often. The benefit people most often claim about lower mouse sensitivities is that it separates looking and turning from precise movements like aiming or controlling recoil. With a low enough sensitivity you will be able to look and turn by moving your whole arm, and then precisely target and shoot moving just the hand. For some players this is very beneficial. I have also heard things like, because the arm is closer to your brain stem it takes less time for the nerve synapses to reach the muscles so you can react faster than by just moving your hand or wrist.

On the other hand higher sensitivities have advantages too. Being able to turn very quickly to defend yourself can save your life. Some players find it uncomfortable or fatiguing to have to move their arm long distances to turn. Some mice just plain can't handle the speed needed for low. Lastly if you have a small mouse surface to play on this can be an only option.

Never use a mouse sensitivity because someone else uses it. It's a preference and it varies from person to person. If you are going to use a lower sensitivity you need to have good sound to know where to be looking to minimize the slow turning disadvantage. If you're going to play a high sensitivity you need steady hands and a mouse with good DPI. On the other hand optical mice are ideal for lower sensitivity because they tend to malfunction at higher speeds. To use a really low mouse sensitivity you need to be able to move your mouse blazing fast at a moment's notice. Many pros in CS use large mouse pads with a very slow sensitivity and it takes a lot of skill to play well with such low settings.

Find a sensitivity that balances turning speed with your desire for accuracy. It also needs to be appropriate for your mouse surface, if its small you may need to go higher, if it's cloth you may need to go lower because of friction. If your mouse skips easily with quick movements go to a higher sensitivity, if it's only 400dpi stay at medium and low sens. The key concept is balance, you need one speed that embodies and makes the most of your skills and what you have to work with.

As with other settings in the guide, take some time to get used to a new setting. When you feel you are getting close to your ideal mouse sensitivity make smaller adjustments by going by .1, or even .01 until you get it perfect, spend at least 10-20 minutes practicing with a setting before tweaking it again. Good Luck.
    At a later date I will includ a way that some very experienced players use to find their perfect mouse sensitivity. It takes more time to do but it can dial you in to less than .01 of your best setting.

3hz - just some divine intervention.

My war guides: http://benjescsguides.blogspot.com/
    Need some help on a war map or just want some hints tips and tricks to help in pugs and wars message me on steam or pm me on the forums and we can sort out a time for me to show you what you need to know.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Benje For This Useful Post:

The Dark Knight of DTK
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 172

Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Enzome     $ 15.00
    I recently changed my mouse dpi from 5600 which it was on and before that 2000dpi and changed it down ot only 500 dpi do to someone telling me they have done it.
    and for some reason. i am getting better rego and hit registery.
    my shooting game has improved and my mouse speed is like 5.5 which feels equivalent to 2. when it was on 2k dpi

So yeah dont know what it is but been pulling of some big shit :P

The Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 74

Benje has a spectacular aura about Benje has a spectacular aura about Benje has a spectacular aura about Benje's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [V] Benje     $ 10.00
    If you have not changed your ingame sensitivity it could be that you are better with the low sensitivity. If you have changed ingame sensitivity to adjust for the new mouse dpi it could be that you were experiencing negative acceleration which would not be unexpected with a dpi as high as 5600 and a low ingame sensitivity in which case you would notice a large improvement after an adjustment period.

The Dark Knight of DTK

Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome has a brilliant future Enzome's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Yea most likely, i actually hit gaps with the awp now that i use to never be able to do with the reaction time.

Italian Cake

Tiramisu is a dimwit Tiramisu is a dimwit Tiramisu is a dimwit Tiramisu is a dimwit Tiramisu is a dimwit Tiramisu is a dimwit Tiramisu is a dimwit Tiramisu is a dimwit Tiramisu is a dimwit Tiramisu is a dimwit Tiramisu is a dimwit Tiramisu's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [FM] Tiramisu     $ 5.00
    400dpi/6notch/500hz/1.2sens

Used to it since 1.1a/3.0

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Hack3RKinG will become famous soon enough Hack3RKinG's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [V] Hack3RKinG     $ 0.00
    i never got the mouse optmizations that much, how do i figure out myn? would like to know
    my sensitivity in game is about 2 or a bit less lol

Conquest: 203.98.81.16:27065
    Nilla: 203.98.81.16:27060
    Office: 203.98.81.28:27020
    Classic DM: 118.127.16.147:27018
    Dust2 DM: 118.127.19.88:27015
    MiniGames: 203.98.81.48:27082
    Come Pug @ 203.98.81.48:27070; password dtkpug123
    Tiny Tod Video #2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCD9PMG-HKU
    Tiny Tod Video #1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Qzm...eature=related
    See you guys in the Nilla or Conquest Server

The Dark Knight of DTK

Total Donations For

yea even though my mouse can go to 1000hz someone told me to use 500hz and that at the same time is when i started using 500dpi with 5.5 ingame sens which has improved my aim.

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Hack3RKinG will become famous soon enough Hack3RKinG's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [V] Hack3RKinG     $ 0.00
    na its called skillz bro

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information