+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ct/T Skin & Name Glitch

Delicious Treat
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Overall activity: 65.0%

Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [JA] Cupcake     $ 40.00

Question Ct/T Skin & Name Glitch

Okay, so my Google-fu has failed me.

Very occasionally, on both Office and Nilla (I haven't tried other servers), I've experienced a skin/team glitch as follows:

: I'm playing CT

: Other player looks like CT (default CT skin, not custom skin)
    : Other player's name appears in blue (like a CT) when I aim over them
    : If other player is shot and killed, the instant they hit the ground, their "body" reverts to a default T skin. I have witnessed this moment of death more than once with consistent results.

When the glitch happens, it seems to affect one specific player continuously/consistently. I.E. next round it will be the same player again who appears to be a CT teammate, and their name continues to be displayed blue. If I kill them, their skin reverts to default T skin the moment they switch from "ragdoll" to "corpse".

Makes for a heck of a moment when I'm killed by a teammate, and then... they're not a teammate.

FAQ:

: I haven't experienced this glitch in reverse (playing as T, seeing CT appear as T)
    : But I don't spend enough time playing as T to know if it could happen

: It doesn't happen every round, on every map, every night.
    : It only started around a week ago, and I've seen it maybe in four rounds, over 24 server hours

Is it something people have come across before, or have any leads on?

OS is Linux Mint 18.3 if it's relevant.

#3 Office: Wednesday Night !rtd
    8:00pm Every Wednesday

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 309
    Overall activity: 0%

Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [JA] Rubicon     $ 460.00
    Good effort mate but a bit over-complex, I'd stick with blaming rego for those evenings where you suck. Everyone else does (except me, I use fps)
    I want to live forever. So far so good.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Delicious Treat

Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake has much to be proud of Cupcake's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    I'd stick with blaming rego for those evenings where you suck. Everyone else does (except me, I use fps)

Ta for that Rubi; invaluable assistance as always.

Perhaps I'll just leave this here:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cupcake For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 216
    aSaP has much to be proud of aSaP has much to be proud of aSaP has much to be proud of aSaP has much to be proud of aSaP has much to be proud of aSaP has much to be proud of aSaP has much to be proud of aSaP has much to be proud of aSaP has much to be proud of aSaP's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [JA] aSaP     $ 0.00
    You can't blame the server that you can't hit shit Cupcake, Rubi plays on an old laptop so he has a good excuse :-)

But ,,,,,
    This has happened to me at times mainly when my connection is a little slow and laggy , Will also have some players that will appear to still have spawn protection coloring enabled at all times. I just deal with it or restart and reconnect and it fixes it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to aSaP For This Useful Post:

Senior Administrator
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 43

WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh has a reputation beyond repute WalkerBoh's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [SA] WalkerBoh     $ 325.00
    I haven't experienced that at all Cupcake. What I have experienced though is enemy players appearing as teammates on my mini map, and also when I mouse over an enemy player hiding in a dark spot the name comes up in blue when I'm a CT or in red when I'm a T making you think for a split second that they are indeed friendly, right up until they shoot you in the arse.

I have just dealt with it though as it happens maybe once or twice a month and I just put it down to a glitch. Never reported it to any1 other than mentioning it in passing to Knight Ops. It could maybe be if you are playing random spawn or FFA modes just some residual programming depending on the location where you die. As in maybe they are being respawned in the T location regardless of their team so it just shows them as a T until it corrects itself upon their actual respawn. Just a guess.

I'm sure it's a lot more technical than that, but I'm layman so that explanation makes sense in my mind.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WalkerBoh For This Useful Post:

Fellowship of the Ducks
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Squall has disabled reputation Squall's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [C] Squall     $ 15.00
    The default skin glitch can happen to bots.

The delay in skin changing though sounds like a client issue.

TassieDevil
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 99.4%

greg256 has a brilliant future greg256 has a brilliant future greg256 has a brilliant future greg256 has a brilliant future greg256 has a brilliant future greg256 has a brilliant future greg256 has a brilliant future greg256 has a brilliant future greg256 has a brilliant future greg256 has a brilliant future greg256 has a brilliant future greg256's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [SA] greg256     $ 20.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall View Post
    The default skin glitch can happen to bots.
    I mainly play on server #4, i have noticed although its rare bots can go the entire round in the wrong skin.

The delay in skin changing though sounds like a client issue.
    Seems to depend on the number of players, again on server #4 when a player changes teams mid game it may take 1 to 2 deaths before the player appears in the correct skin.
    So you may be correct, there is a delay in the client updating the player skins.
    GunGame DM Server#4 Senior Admin

12. The Following User Says Thank You to greg256 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 309

Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon has a reputation beyond repute Rubicon's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [JA] Rubicon     $ 460.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Ta for that Rubi; invaluable assistance as always.

Perhaps I'll just leave this here:

Meh, photoshop, I can tell by the pixels. Well played though

I haven't had the issue personally but will be interested to know what causes it if it can be narrowed down.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Delicious Treat

Total Donations For

Interesting input from all - I noticed when connecting to #9 Nilla last night, I was made to re-download all skins prior to connection. I didn't make any changes or updates on my end, so I wonder if somebody has made a quiet tweak server side?

So far, so good. No glitches yet

Fellowship of the Ducks
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Squall has disabled reputation Squall's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [C] Squall     $ 15.00
    Interesting input from all - I noticed when connecting to #9 Nilla last night, I was made to re-download all skins prior to connection. I didn't make any changes or updates on my end, so I wonder if somebody has made a quiet tweak server side?

The files you downloaded were the skins that were added yesterday.

Like i said, the delay in default skins changing for you sound like a client issue. Not familiar with Linux CSS issues but searching for issues with the OS included in the search term might help.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Squall For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 53
    synz will become famous soon enough synz's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [M] synz     $ 0.00
    The files you downloaded were the skins that were added yesterday.

Like i said, the delay in default skins changing for you sound like a client issue. Not familiar with Linux CSS issues but searching for issues with the OS included in the search term might help.
    Can confirm it is a client-sided issue. If you've found that you have this issue, you can quickly resolve it by going into your console and typing "record x" then "stop". Whatever you name the recording ultimately doesn't matter, it can even be single character, just make sure you properly name it something. I'm not sure why this command fixes your game when you have the glitch, but it does. Recording a demo only works when you're alive and no smokes are currently popped or if you're currently dead. I've found my game mainly gets this issue when it times out then comes back or occasionally when I alt-tab and tab back in. Recording and stopping a demo is pretty much the only fix I know of that fixes this problem

19. The Following User Says Thank You to synz For This Useful Post:

Monkey Crew
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 522
    Overall activity: 99.7%

PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy has a reputation beyond repute PigSy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [S] PigSy     $ 1035.00
    Okay, so my Google-fu has failed me.

Very occasionally, on both Office and Nilla (I haven't tried other servers), I've experienced a skin/team glitch as follows:

: I'm playing CT

: Other player looks like CT (default CT skin, not custom skin)
    : Other player's name appears in blue (like a CT) when I aim over them
    : If other player is shot and killed, the instant they hit the ground, their "body" reverts to a default T skin. I have witnessed this moment of death more than once with consistent results.

When the glitch happens, it seems to affect one specific player continuously/consistently. I.E. next round it will be the same player again who appears to be a CT teammate, and their name continues to be displayed blue. If I kill them, their skin reverts to default T skin the moment they switch from "ragdoll" to "corpse".

Makes for a heck of a moment when I'm killed by a teammate, and then... they're not a teammate.

FAQ:

: I haven't experienced this glitch in reverse (playing as T, seeing CT appear as T)
    : But I don't spend enough time playing as T to know if it could happen

: It doesn't happen every round, on every map, every night.
    : It only started around a week ago, and I've seen it maybe in four rounds, over 24 server hours

Is it something people have come across before, or have any leads on?

OS is Linux Mint 18.3 if it's relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by synz View Post
    Can confirm it is a client-sided issue. If you've found that you have this issue, you can quickly resolve it by going into your console and typing "record x" then "stop". Whatever you name the recording ultimately doesn't matter, it can even be single character, just make sure you properly name it something. I'm not sure why this command fixes your game when you have the glitch, but it does. Recording a demo only works when you're alive and no smokes are currently popped or if you're currently dead. I've found my game mainly gets this issue when it times out then comes back or occasionally when I alt-tab and tab back in. Recording and stopping a demo is pretty much the only fix I know of that fixes this problem
    As synz posted, this is the only in-game fix I know of. Last resort is to rejoin the server!

The glitchs I have experienced, can affect 1 or more players on the opposing team either wearing a friendly skin, skin has a fluoro look or are invisible.
    I also get a sound glitch akin to a metal bucket being dragged along concrete.

Generally the glitches only occur after a server or client side lag spike for me.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PigSy For This Useful Post:

Delicious Treat

Total Donations For

I've found my game mainly gets this issue when it times out then comes back or occasionally when I alt-tab and tab back in.
    Quote Originally Posted by PigSy View Post
    Generally the glitches only occur after a server or client side lag spike for me.

I think you guys may have solved this for me - I've been having awful lag spikes (thanks Telstra!) the last couple of weeks, and that could very well be it! Lag spikes bad enough that all the corpses re-drop, and my inventory re-loads all items.

If you've found that you have this issue, you can quickly resolve it by going into your console and typing "record x" then "stop". Whatever you name the recording ultimately doesn't matter, it can even be single character, just make sure you properly name it something. I'm not sure why this command fixes your game when you have the glitch, but it does. Recording a demo only works when you're alive and no smokes are currently popped or if you're currently dead.

I'll have to give that a shot, thanks synz

Delicious Treat

Total Donations For

Sorry for grave-digging; posting for posterity.

I can confirm this issue is directly tied to lag-spikes, and can be resolved by disconnecting, and reconnecting. Another lag spike may then load more glitched skins.
    Weeks of seamless internet - not one glitch.
    Two lag spikes - friendly-skinned and invisible enemies.
    This has been repeatable, and I have not experienced any glitches when my connection is stable.

Thank you all who had input, especially aSaP and PigSy who got me thinking about this problem in association with connection issues.
    Last edited by Cupcake; 28-07-20 at 04:38 PM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cupcake For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information