Closed Thread

Thread: Jihad Bomb no more!!

Banned
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    BigLez has a spectacular aura about BigLez has a spectacular aura about BigLez's Avatar
    Total Donations For

BigLez     $ 0.00

Jihad Bomb no more!!

We SHOULD change the name of the "Jihad Bomb" to "Suicide Bomb"! I believe it is extremely sacrilegious to the Islam culture and rather unfair because Jihad means to struggle against evil, not kill yourself in the name of terrorism. Although the 'Jihad Bomb' has been named this for quite some time, I should have addressed this at the beginning due to its unlawful meaning. I know this may not be a strong case or appeal, but I hope it can be seen as the right thing to do to respect Islamic culture.

:%)
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 0%
    Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Kavemium     $ 0.00
    I recommend people stop getting offended by such things. Jihad suicide attacks are a well known thing and therefore is recognisable. If you are attempting to spark a debate about the correlation between terrorism and Islam, I suggest you stop.

(◕:%)◕✿).com.au

*Note: :%) is a copyrighted meme, please do not steal it

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kavemium For This Useful Post:

9 Year Member
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 170

Cha$e has a reputation beyond repute Cha$e has a reputation beyond repute Cha$e has a reputation beyond repute Cha$e has a reputation beyond repute Cha$e has a reputation beyond repute Cha$e has a reputation beyond repute Cha$e has a reputation beyond repute Cha$e has a reputation beyond repute Cha$e has a reputation beyond repute Cha$e has a reputation beyond repute Cha$e has a reputation beyond repute Cha$e's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Cha$e     $ 180.00
    My bad, Removed my own thing. thought was JB post.
    Last edited by Cha$e; 25-08-16 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Idiot

EX-Admin for: TTT, Minigames, Bhop and GG10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SofPIaHKFjE <------- Best TTT vid ever
    DTK member: 8 years

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 180
    BilboBaggins is just really nice BilboBaggins is just really nice BilboBaggins is just really nice BilboBaggins is just really nice BilboBaggins's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [T] BilboBaggins     $ 0.00
    its a choice to be offended by it buddy, a choice. I dont get offended and neither do many of my Islamic friends. If your getting offended by it thats your choice and it shouldnt affect the rest of the community.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BilboBaggins For This Useful Post:

AKA Qi_Bishop
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks has a brilliant future Onesks's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [V] Onesks     $ 20.02
    yeah what they said ^

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Onesks For This Useful Post:

Delta4[G]od
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 198

Delta has a reputation beyond repute Delta has a reputation beyond repute Delta has a reputation beyond repute Delta has a reputation beyond repute Delta has a reputation beyond repute Delta has a reputation beyond repute Delta has a reputation beyond repute Delta has a reputation beyond repute Delta has a reputation beyond repute Delta has a reputation beyond repute Delta has a reputation beyond repute Delta's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [LM] Delta     $ 505.00
    I'm gonna keep a close eye on this thread. The second it goes off the rails, it's getting closed.
    Keep it civilized peeps.

Button hax.
    8:12 PM - button εϊз: Delta, you make me moist. <3
    King LeKrez James : im stayin away from u

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Delta For This Useful Post:

Bigboy
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Pepsi is a glorious beacon of light Pepsi is a glorious beacon of light Pepsi is a glorious beacon of light Pepsi is a glorious beacon of light Pepsi is a glorious beacon of light Pepsi is a glorious beacon of light Pepsi's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [V] Pepsi     $ 0.00
    Pretty sure changing it to suicide bomb would do no harm... literally no reason not to change it. For those of you saying that its their opinions and that your opinions are better don't know if you are thinking about what the change means. Changing it would only stop some people getting offended so more happy people on your server which, as an admin is sorta your role.
    Sort of a big deal

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pepsi For This Useful Post:

LeKrez James
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [S] Krezand     $ 0.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavemium View Post
    I recommend people stop getting offended by such things. Jihad suicide attacks are a well known thing and therefore is recognisable. If you are attempting to spark a debate about the correlation between terrorism and Islam, I suggest you stop.
    I didn't interpret his post in that way, in fact, I felt enlightened and had learnt something new. I quickly had a google search and it seems to check out. It doesn't seem like he's trying to relate terrorism with Islam, I think he's trying to somewhat defend Islam.
    Quote Originally Posted by BilboBaggins View Post
    its a choice to be offended by it buddy, a choice. I dont get offended and neither do many of my Islamic friends. If your getting offended by it thats your choice and it shouldnt affect the rest of the community.
    Whilst I agree with your point, it doesn't mean that it's right.
    Just for an example, I am not offended by racism, however it is against the rules. Therefore, racism is wrong no matter if the victim finds it offensive or not.

And so I'm beginning to see this 'issue' is that it shouldn't be based on opinions but more so if the term 'Jihad Bomb' is objectively disrespectful or offensive.
    I honestly see this as a troll thread, however it does contain some substance that prompts a nice discussion. I figured I'd challenge the counter-arguments here just to evoke even more discussion. Keen to see what everyone thinks in response.
    Last edited by Krezand; 25-08-16 at 10:01 PM.

Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium has much to be proud of Kavemium's Avatar
    Total Donations For

There's no reason TO change it, though. I see it as a reference to terrorism in... Counter-Strike, a game about counter-terrorists fighting against terrorists. It is also rooted in the large history of TTT - dating back to Garry's Mod. I don't really see a need to change it based on offence. If we do, why would we stop there - what's stopping OTHER things from offending people?

There will always be people offended by things - I get offended by a ton of stuff that happens here, but unless it is directly an attack against myself, I suck it up and just ignore it or get used to it. I don't see Jihad Bomb as something that says "all Muslims are terrorists." It's just the item that always has had that name. And I believe it shouldn't change.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kavemium For This Useful Post:

LeKrez James
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand has a reputation beyond repute Krezand's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [S] Krezand     $ 0.00
    There's no reason TO change it, though. I see it as a reference to terrorism in... Counter-Strike, a game about counter-terrorists fighting against terrorists. It is also rooted in the large history of TTT - dating back to Garry's Mod. I don't really see a need to change it based on offence. If we do, why would we stop there - what's stopping OTHER things from offending people?

There will always be people offended by things - I get offended by a ton of stuff that happens here, but unless it is directly an attack against myself, I suck it up and just ignore it or get used to it. I don't see Jihad Bomb as something that says "all Muslims are terrorists." It's just the item that always has had that name. And I believe it shouldn't change.
    There is a reason to change it, however whether it should be changed or not, that is the discussion.
    It is a reference to terrorism, yes. This is Counter Strike. The sky is blue. However it does not mean that the term 'Jihad Bomb' is objectively acceptable, that should be the discussion.
    Bringing in 'TTT History' is irrelevant. History should not be acknowledged as we are trying to focus on what is happening now in the present. Slavery is a part of our history, but it is wrong. The extreme inequalities between males and females are a part of our history, but it is wrong. Although these are very outlandish examples in relation to a term in a videogame, I believe it still holds some merit. 'Traditions' should be argued similarly as well.

If something is deemed to be offensive, it SHOULD be changed and it NEEDS to be changed. This is VERY important and EVERYONE has to know this and needs to carry this mentality. This is whether you are in the workplace, school, or even here in a gaming community which is moderated.
    If there were to be other things that offend people, that's the whole point of a discussion. If someone were to find something offensive whilst using common sense and it had some sort of merit to it then it obviously needs to be dealt with.

Whether you suck it up, ignore it and get used to it is irrelevant because not everyone is you. Your personal experiences when dealing with offensive language or material is completely irrelevant.
    You claim that you don't see 'Jihad Bomb' as something that says 'all Muslims are terrorists'.....
    neither does anyone else as that is not what Big Lez was implying in the original post of this thread.

Just because an 'item has always had that name' is totally the wrong mindset to have, it doesn't validate arguments, it just closes off the discussion completely because of closed mindedness.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Krezand For This Useful Post:

asuh dude

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 264

IcePowered has a reputation beyond repute IcePowered has a reputation beyond repute IcePowered has a reputation beyond repute IcePowered has a reputation beyond repute IcePowered has a reputation beyond repute IcePowered has a reputation beyond repute IcePowered has a reputation beyond repute IcePowered has a reputation beyond repute IcePowered has a reputation beyond repute IcePowered has a reputation beyond repute IcePowered has a reputation beyond repute IcePowered's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] IcePowered     $ 550.00

Jihad is not a reference to terrorism though. The literal translation of the word jihad is struggling or striving. It is not inherently a violent concept and making the implication that it is could be seen as offensive.

The way I see it, it's a trivial change (literally one line in the mod's code from what I can see) and I don't see why it can't be changed.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX980 G1 Gaming
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    SSD: OCZ Vertex3 128GB
    PSU: Corsair GS800 V2
    Case: Corsair Graphite 760T

Monitor: BenQ XL2411T
    Keyboard: Ducky Shine Zero (Cherry Red)
    Mouse: Zowie FK1
    Headset: Audio Technica AD700 W/ ModMic

Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by IcePowered View Post
    Jihad is not a reference to terrorism though. The literal translation of the word jihad is struggling or striving. It is not inherently a violent concept and making the implication that it is could be seen as offensive.

The way I see it, it's a trivial change (literally one line in the mod's code from what I can see) and I don't see why it can't be changed.
    From Wikipedia:

Jihad (English pronunciation: /dʒɪˈhɑːd/; Arabic: جهاد‎‎ jihād [dʒiˈhæːd]) is an Islamic term referring to the religious duty of Muslims to maintain and spread the religion. In Arabic, the word jihād is a noun meaning the act of "striving, applying oneself, struggling, persevering".

Usage by some Non-Muslims
    The United States Department of Justice has used its own ad hoc definitions of jihad in indictments of individuals involved in terrorist activities:
    "As used in this First Superseding Indictment, 'Jihad' is the Arabic word meaning 'holy war'. In this context, jihad refers to the use of violence, including paramilitary action against persons, governments deemed to be enemies of the fundamentalist version of Islam."[159]

Now, this is getting dangerously close to a bad debate, but the way that Jihad terrorists "maintain and spread" includes suicide attacks. Why do we need to change the name of something to avoid offence? Why must we tread lightly around this topic? If it was a Christian or Catholic reference, would this thread have been created?

Fellowship of the Ducks
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Squall has disabled reputation Squall's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [C] Squall     $ 15.00

Here is the link to the plugin thread: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=273960

Best place for your request.

DtK does not discriminate against one's beliefs. If you follow a religion, are atheist or agnostic, it has no bearing on your membership here. That being said, we are not a beacon of Christianity or any religion nor do we look down upon those that follow a religion. We are simply a gaming community and how a term is defined by different people and trying to argue what the correct meaning is, this isn't the place for it. It's good to be able to have a serious discussion about certain things however this isn't one of those threads, especially when the intent wasn't really what you guys think it is.

Closed Thread

Thread Information