Thread: A suggestion.

Casual Member
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Overall activity: 0%
    Leitchyshawn1 is on a distinguished road Leitchyshawn1's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [T] Leitchyshawn1     $ 0.00

A suggestion.

OKAY. So. I've been playing KZ for just over a month now and anyway. I believe that the map time needs to be changed to 1 hour. Barely any people are going to finish maps like timescape or colours in under 30 minutes including myself. And this is going to be a big turn off for newer players trying to grind a map and for it to just change on them. So please change that!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Leitchyshawn1 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Neslo will become famous soon enough Neslo's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [N] Neslo     $ 0.00
    I mean yes it is a good idea. But at the same time there is no way I am waiting an hour for people to complete maps. Its simple, Just add an 8 to a map vote and make 8. EXTEND MAP. No point extending maps like beginner to an hour. Just have an extend in the votemap menu

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neslo For This Useful Post:

FRAGILE send with care.
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Undercover Martyn     $ 0.00
    Some other surf server I've played on made it so typing !ve would put up a vote to extend the map for 10 minutes, I think that's another way the problem can be fixed as well. But yeah considering most maps aren't extensively long I think it's better to have an extend option somewhere rather than a really long map time for all maps.

Also rtv needs to be fixed. With 3 players on the server, 1 player shouldn't be able to cause a map change.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Undercover Martyn For This Useful Post:

Casual Member
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Leitchyshawn1 is on a distinguished road Leitchyshawn1's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [T] Leitchyshawn1     $ 0.00
    Not trying to be an ass here Nelso, But its not all about you. I play normally aus kz which is always the most populated kz server and their maps run for 2 and a half hours. RTV is a thing for a reason. If others want to play the map then why should it be changed for 1 dude?? But the fact is. Not many people will finish timescape, colours and many other maps under 30 minutes.. I'm a regular ranked on the aus kz server and my best time on it is 32 minutes. So im close to getting there but for newer players who want to grind to improve it just ruins it for them.

The !ve thing seems pretty cool.

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Neslo will become famous soon enough Neslo's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [N] Neslo     $ 0.00
    Obviously its not all about me. I mean why would people want to wait an hour or so on maps like beginnerblock or kz_dontstop both are around a minute? I play on the aus kz server aswell as a semi pro thanks and I completely understand there system as they reel in max server cap full of new players. They have an extendmap vote system that works perfectly. Yes new players can't finish timescape and colors in under 30 minutes. But there are tier 1 and 2 maps that are on server rotation for a reason? If the new players need an easier map. Simply RTV it. Or once we get an extend vote system. Extend it

Yes the !ve thing would be a nice add-on aswell

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neslo For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 553

ajaytech has a reputation beyond repute ajaytech has a reputation beyond repute ajaytech has a reputation beyond repute ajaytech has a reputation beyond repute ajaytech has a reputation beyond repute ajaytech has a reputation beyond repute ajaytech has a reputation beyond repute ajaytech has a reputation beyond repute ajaytech has a reputation beyond repute ajaytech has a reputation beyond repute ajaytech has a reputation beyond repute ajaytech's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [S] ajaytech     $ 405.77
    3:35.24 on beginnerblock

FRAGILE send with care.
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn has a reputation beyond repute Undercover Martyn's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Undercover Martyn     $ 0.00
    It's always difficult to balance things when there can be such large gaps in skill between players and how they utilise their time. For example, 10 minutes for player 1 might allow them to complete 80% of the map and still be progressing smoothly, whilst the same 10 minutes for player 2 might be them completing 10% of the map and being stuck on an obstacle/jump they can't do. Similarly, any map that is challenging and enjoyable to player 1 is likely borderline impossible and frustrating to player 2, and any map challenging and enjoyable to player 2 is probably tedious and boring to player 1, and given maps can take very long times to complete these 2 worlds collide rather frequently on the server with often multiple maps being changed due to rtv before anyone can complete a run.

There's no real right and wrong, as someone who can complete most maps but often not in spectacular times, I at often get annoyed sometimes at the lesser seasoned players that simply rtv every map they can't do and don't let anyone finish, but at the same time, I'm sure they're just as annoyed they can't do a jump/obstacle for 5+ minutes and it's no fun for them.

The ways I can think to fix this is for the more skilled players to take some time out to lend a hand to those who need it, as often I find a lot of KZ techniques are relatively simple to mimic but HAVE to be known first to complete a jump/obstacle, and if the newer players would actually ask for help instead of just rtv'ing this would be great as well. I'm usually more than happy to pause my time and hop into spec to try and explain to someone how to bhop across a longjump, or how to do a simple ladderjump, but I don't know what other players are up to or if they're stuck while I'm in the middle of my run.

On that note it'd also be nice for players to show some courtesy to others with the rtv function. It not hard to simply ask if someone's midrun or close to the end before you decide to change the map. I'm not sure if people are not aware or simply don't care about how changing the map can affect others on the server, but either way I personally find it obnoxious af.

Maybe some server messages along the lines of "Please be considerate of other players who might be midrun if you choose to rtv" or "Ask for help before choosing to rtv" might change this attitude, or otherwise some simple rtv changes by increasing proportion of players required to rtv before the map changes (which I mentioned earlier), or by having a longer cooldown on the rtv function since the last one was called could help solve some of the issues. For example one the major issues on the server atm (I feel), is when newer players join and decides to rtv every map asap because they find it too difficult until it gets changed to one of the very few maps they can complete.

This can go both ways of course, for more experienced players to not simply rtv as soon as they finish to deny other players a chance of finishing who might be able to complete the map, albeit with slower times, but from my experience this usually doesn't happen. Mainly because the more experienced players either want to set better times and so will re-run it, and because I think they are more aware of how frustrating it is to have a map changed when you are in the middle of a run. Alternatively 2 servers with easier and harder maps (like the recent surf & bhop changes) might also help deal with this situation, and bring additional population to the "easy" kz server.

Sorry for the tanget about the rtv function (and long post), but it's something I was meaning to post and figured I'd just squeeze it in here.
    Last edited by Undercover Martyn; 26-02-16 at 01:49 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Undercover Martyn For This Useful Post:

Semi-professional lobster
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 447

Hollywood Rex has a reputation beyond repute Hollywood Rex has a reputation beyond repute Hollywood Rex has a reputation beyond repute Hollywood Rex has a reputation beyond repute Hollywood Rex has a reputation beyond repute Hollywood Rex has a reputation beyond repute Hollywood Rex has a reputation beyond repute Hollywood Rex has a reputation beyond repute Hollywood Rex has a reputation beyond repute Hollywood Rex has a reputation beyond repute Hollywood Rex has a reputation beyond repute Hollywood Rex's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Hollywood Rex     $ 65.56
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercover Martyn View Post
    Some other surf server I've played on made it so typing !ve would put up a vote to extend the map for 10 minutes, I think that's another way the problem can be fixed as well. But yeah considering most maps aren't extensively long I think it's better to have an extend option somewhere rather than a really long map time for all maps.

Also rtv needs to be fixed. With 3 players on the server, 1 player shouldn't be able to cause a map change.
    I think these two things would improve this server a lot.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information