+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [MAP] How to build a complete map the right way [Beginner Friendly]

Development Team
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [SA] imthenewguy     $ 0.00

[MAP] How to build a complete map the right way [Beginner Friendly]

Hi all,

I thought I would write up a tutorial to help those who are wanting to learn the fantastic art that is mapping, plan, design and build their first map.

I have found that most people who attempt to learn hammer will never finish a map, even a simple one, because they tend to get a bit too excited with what the tool can do, and forget that their abilities don't really match their desires.

Another pit fall is when new mappers fail to do any sort of planning for their maps. It gets to a point where they are not sure what to do next and lose interest in the project, and because they have invested time in the project, lost interest in starting again, and therefore lose interest in mapping.

This guide will assist you on create your first COMPLETED map by talking you through the planning stages, discussing some of the variables that you may come across in your planning stages and helping you set the right expectations of your first map.

Still interested in mapping? Lets begin!

Selecting a game type to map for
    This is a simple task but a lot of people can still fall over here. Selecting a map to build for is usually based around game types you are interested in/play.
    Where a lot of people go wrong is when they choose a map that has a steep learning curve and requires knowledge about intermediate and advance entities.

Keep your selection simple if this is your first map. Games that require little to no entity interaction are a good choice like Gun Game, Trouble in Terrorist Town and Fight yard based maps.
    These types of maps will allow you to learn basic functions like lighting, skybox and basic entity interaction (buttons/props etc).
    It will also ensure that you complete your first map and allow you to tackle your next project with some sharper skills.

Establishing a Theme
    Hammer has loads of textures, sounds, models and other resources for you to build your wonderlands with. It unfortunately doesn't every texture or colour or model that your theme would demand.

Selecting a theme that interests you will assist in keeping you interested in the project and will allow you to have some fun and be innovative with your map.

The first thing to establish is if you want to do a realistic theme or a fantasy theme. I am personally a big fan of fantasy as it allows for more creative pathways for my map, but realism is easier to model and seek examples for online.

If you have decided to use a fantasy theme for your map, you will need to browse through hammers textures in order to see if it can accommodate what you are wanting to build.
    If they don't have what you are after, check out www.gamebanana.com and see if anyone has released textures that will work for your map. You can use any texture from any valve released game by placing it in the correct directory inside CS:GO.

Finally, is the theme within your skill level?
    Just like when you selected the type of map you wanted to build, you need to assess whether the designs in your head can be replicated in hammer.

Look at other maps
    A good way to get the creative juices flowing is to look at what makes other maps great.
    What do people enjoy about them?
    Is there architecture in that map that would work well with your theme?
    Do the textures blend well together?
    Is it balanced?
    This will help you build a the best first map that you can.

Draw out a rough design of your map
    This is one of the most crucial things you can do for your project. It will give you a visual guide as to how you want to lay our your map, what content you wish to put in it (and where) and simply give you something to stick to.

If you want to make a change from your drawn design during your mapping, then draw the new design our first and then action it. This will let you see if the changes are a good idea.

A few helpful tips on drawing out your map:
    • Write the name of each area on your map.
    • Lable parts of the map that are not accessable (ie parts that are for show)
    • Design it in a way that strategically works with the game you are mapping for (example: Gun game maps have multiple pathways from one side to the other and are generally mirrored).
    • List content on the side of your drawing and tick it off as its added (example: mini games, security room, t spawn, ct spawn, interactive objects).

Start building your map
    After the groundwork has been laid, you can start building your map.
    There are a few ways to go about this, but it will be up to personal preference.

What I like to do personally is work on one area at a time. I like to do the detailed brushes, props, textures, lighting; everything before i move onto the next area. You can always come back to it if you want to add/change/remove something.

Another way is to do the floor plan of your map and then build the structures (buildings, walls etc), followed by detailing, props and then lighting.

Again, it all comes down to how you want to do it.

Test your map as you go
    One useful piece of advice; always test your map after a large change!

When you add something like a new area, building, lots of detail, lighting that you will be using around the rest of your map etc, compile the map and try it out.
    This will allow you to catch errors as you make them (because it is very painful trying to fix 1000 problems on the final compile) and give you a feel for how your maps looking in a rendered environment.

Anyway I hope this tutorial helps some of you. It is a bit of a read but will save you hours of stuffing around by getting your foundations right the first time.

As always, feel free to contact me on steam or PM (or create a thread) with any questions you have about mapping.

Cheers,
    Newguy

Sexual Behaviour Examining Team
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 173

Viktim has a spectacular aura about Viktim has a spectacular aura about Viktim has a spectacular aura about Viktim's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [M] Viktim     $ 65.00
    So Ive never made a level before for any game and always wanted to get into it... being an artist who games... its a logical attraction.

After I read this last night I did a ton of research on Valve and GameBanana Forums, downloaded Hammer.... And after 3 or so hours I figured out, it wasnt at all what I expected to experience.... Ive literally spent all night on this and heres a screenshot of where I am at, I did as you said and sketched up before i started. And ive completed about 50% or so of my finished map (roughly)

HOWEVER.... I'm clearly still missing vital info that i cant seem to find anywhere, ie how to import models... i can browse them in hammer but when i double click the dialogue closes... but o object appears... i tried creating an object and manually swapping it out with an item from the object library... that didn't work either...

If you could help at all?? (oh dear, I'm not sure what you've started for me here, but im definitely too far in to stop now haha)

Development Team
    imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by Viktim View Post
    So Ive never made a level before for any game and always wanted to get into it... being an artist who games... its a logical attraction.

After I read this last night I did a ton of research on Valve and GameBanana Forums, downloaded Hammer.... And after 3 or so hours I figured out, it wasnt at all what I expected to experience.... Ive literally spent all night on this and heres a screenshot of where I am at, I did as you said and sketched up before i started. And ive completed about 50% or so of my finished map (roughly)

HOWEVER.... I'm clearly still missing vital info that i cant seem to find anywhere, ie how to import models... i can browse them in hammer but when i double click the dialogue closes... but o object appears... i tried creating an object and manually swapping it out with an item from the object library... that didn't work either...

If you could help at all?? (oh dear, I'm not sure what you've started for me here, but im definitely too far in to stop now haha)

Is looking good mate; be sure to pass me a copy when its done so I can check it out

Mapping is a lot of fun and being artistic, you will go a long way if you can stick wit it

In regards to your prop situation, can you tell me exactly what you are wanting to do and tell me the process that you followed to I can see what is going wrong?

Cheers

Viktim has a spectacular aura about Viktim has a spectacular aura about Viktim has a spectacular aura about Viktim's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

OK ok ok... so I bit offmore than i could chew with my first attempt and landed on my head. So i started again with something a little more basic.

I got it all going ... running and i can spectate.... BUT... the teams are full??????????

Cant figure out what is going on i have info_player_start's in.... So here is some screen shots trying to not give too much away about the map, PLEASEEEE help TA

Trophies
    Total Donations For

Also of note is that ive changed from a csgo map to a css map as I have shitty internet atm and barely play go because of this.... So this is a css GGDM style map

Fellowship of the Ducks
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Squall has disabled reputation Squall's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [C] Squall     $ 15.00
    For CSS you need to use info_player_terrorist & info_player_counterterrorist for your spawn points

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Squall For This Useful Post:

Development Team
    Total Donations For

Also of note is that ive changed from a csgo map to a css map as I have shitty internet atm and barely play go because of this.... So this is a css GGDM style map
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall View Post
    For CSS you need to use info_player_terrorist & info_player_counterterrorist for your spawn points
    Yeah what Squally said. You use the info_player_terrorist and info_player_counterterrorist entities to replicate spawn points.
    A few important rules:
    • You need 1 per spawn slot for each team (ie if you want 10 terrorist slots and 10 ct slots, you would need 10 of each entity spread out)
    • There cannot be any part of it touching another surface/non point entity or they won't work
    • The direction they are facing is the direction that the player will be facing. This only works on the z Axis though, meaning that you pick the direction you want them to face by adjusting the little circle with the line in it on the entity popup. You cant adjust the angle (ie make it face up or down).
    • You can surround them in brushes like the trigger brush (used for buy zones or trigger_once/multiples etc).

The map is looking good mate. Have you looked much into lighting?
    Also feel free to send me a copy of it and I can offer you some feed back if you like.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to imthenewguy For This Useful Post:

Trophies
    Total Donations For

Ahhh sick... soon as i got spawns sorted ill flick you a copy newguy. muchmuch appreciative thanks to both you and squall!!

Development Team
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by Squall View Post
    Ahhh sick... soon as i got spawns sorted ill flick you a copy newguy. muchmuch appreciative thanks to both you and squall!!
    Looking forward to it

12. The Following User Says Thank You to imthenewguy For This Useful Post:

Trophies
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by imthenewguy View Post
    Looking forward to it
    Sent copies to both you and squall!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Viktim For This Useful Post:

Trophies
    Total Donations For

Yeah what Squally said. You use the info_player_terrorist and info_player_counterterrorist entities to replicate spawn points.
    A few important rules:
    • You need 1 per spawn slot for each team (ie if you want 10 terrorist slots and 10 ct slots, you would need 10 of each entity spread out)
    • There cannot be any part of it touching another surface/non point entity or they won't work
    • The direction they are facing is the direction that the player will be facing. This only works on the z Axis though, meaning that you pick the direction you want them to face by adjusting the little circle with the line in it on the entity popup. You cant adjust the angle (ie make it face up or down).
    • You can surround them in brushes like the trigger brush (used for buy zones or trigger_once/multiples etc).

The map is looking good mate. Have you looked much into lighting?
    Also feel free to send me a copy of it and I can offer you some feed back if you like.
    ALSO figured out you need one info_player_ct and info_player_t for each slot BUT ALSO need a info_player_start on each side :S weird. anywho. And im not sure if theres anything i need to do as far as buy zones seeing as the map is intended for GG..... or if thats something i have to add in myself (ie - not server based) let me know and ill update the files.

Development Team
    Total Donations For

ALSO figured out you need one info_player_ct and info_player_t for each slot BUT ALSO need a info_player_start on each side :S weird. anywho. And im not sure if theres anything i need to do as far as buy zones seeing as the map is intended for GG..... or if thats something i have to add in myself (ie - not server based) let me know and ill update the files.
    Ill certainly check it out when I get home. Is it CSS or CSGO?

Also, you won't need to add buy zones to your map as the gun game plugin will take care of it for you. Buy zones are only for maps that dont have a plugin that supplies weapons (ie: de, cs, hns, mini games etc).

Finally, I have yet to put a info_player_start in my map. It comes up with errors if its not in your map (compile error) but it won't prevent your map from compiling nor will it add anything to your map. You are free to ignore it

One other tool that will be invaluable is this: http://www.interlopers.net/errors/

That tool will allow you to paste your compile log into it and it will advise of any errors, and the severity of the error. I use it all the time

17. The Following User Says Thank You to imthenewguy For This Useful Post:

The Silly Old Willy
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 78
    loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [V] loubot69     $ 0.00
    Might have to whip out this old baby
    http://www.dying2kill.com.au/showthr...hlight=skidrow

19. The Following User Says Thank You to loubot69 For This Useful Post:

Development Team
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by loubot69 View Post
    Is that for Source?

Trophies
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by loubot69 View Post
    no one likes a show off.... hahaha jks ... looks dope!! any pointers for a beginner?

Trophies
    Total Donations For

Ill certainly check it out when I get home. Is it CSS or CSGO?

Also, you won't need to add buy zones to your map as the gun game plugin will take care of it for you. Buy zones are only for maps that dont have a plugin that supplies weapons (ie: de, cs, hns, mini games etc).

Finally, I have yet to put a info_player_start in my map. It comes up with errors if its not in your map (compile error) but it won't prevent your map from compiling nor will it add anything to your map. You are free to ignore it

One other tool that will be invaluable is this: http://www.interlopers.net/errors/

That tool will allow you to paste your compile log into it and it will advise of any errors, and the severity of the error. I use it all the time
    Its for css...and awesome ill def check out that link!!

Development Team
    Total Donations For

Its for css...and awesome ill def check out that link!!
    OK had a look at the map. is looking good for your first time.

A few notes:
    • There is a glitch with the texture you used on the wall. See link for screen shot:http://puu.sh/lWeS0/a067989659.jpg. This can be fixed by selecting a new texture. Put something like concrete or cement into the texture filter for a few nice ones.
    • The texture used for the walls should be changed to something less imposing. The warning stripes look good when used sparingly, but not as the main theme texture. I would recommend something like brick/brickwall003a or dev/dev_measuregeneric01
    • You should use a skybox instead of the lava. Let me know if you need more info about skyboxes.
    • Add trigger_hurt to the under area where players can fall down, so players who fall down there aren't left alive. Again, let me know if you need some more info on how to do this.
    • Make the center lava stream a func_illusionary brush so players can walk into it, and put a trigger_hurt inside of it so players take damage when they come into contact. This would make it a little more realistic.

If you have any questions or need any help with the above just post below.

Might also be worth creating a development thread here so we can track your progress

The Real Shadow
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 620

Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow has a reputation beyond repute Shadow's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Shadow     $ 100.00
    about to suggest making a thread for his map as to not fill this up with it

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadow For This Useful Post:

Trophies
    Total Donations For

OK had a look at the map. is looking good for your first time.

A few notes:
    • There is a glitch with the texture you used on the wall. See link for screen shot:http://puu.sh/lWeS0/a067989659.jpg. This can be fixed by selecting a new texture. Put something like concrete or cement into the texture filter for a few nice ones.
    • The texture used for the walls should be changed to something less imposing. The warning stripes look good when used sparingly, but not as the main theme texture. I would recommend something like brick/brickwall003a or dev/dev_measuregeneric01
    • You should use a skybox instead of the lava. Let me know if you need more info about skyboxes.
    • Add trigger_hurt to the under area where players can fall down, so players who fall down there aren't left alive. Again, let me know if you need some more info on how to do this.
    • Make the center lava stream a func_illusionary brush so players can walk into it, and put a trigger_hurt inside of it so players take damage when they come into contact. This would make it a little more realistic.

If you have any questions or need any help with the above just post below.

Might also be worth creating a development thread here so we can track your progress
    Wicked man. All makes sense! And will do new thread to end this severe hijack I got running here :P

Thanks heaps for taking the time dude!!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Viktim For This Useful Post:

The Silly Old Willy
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 78
    loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69 has a reputation beyond repute loubot69's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [V] loubot69     $ 0.00
    Is that for Source?
    csgo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information