+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Could use help picking parts for the PC I'm planning to build

Am I cool yet?
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 0%
    Sink is a splendid one to behold Sink is a splendid one to behold Sink is a splendid one to behold Sink is a splendid one to behold Sink is a splendid one to behold Sink is a splendid one to behold Sink is a splendid one to behold Sink's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [V] Sink     $ 0.00

Could use help picking parts for the PC I'm planning to build

Hey guys!

I'm finally planning to upgrade from a laptop to an actual desktop once I have the money, but I was thinking I'd start picking parts now. I was wondering if you guys could help me

What I want:

I'm looking for a good but probably not great rig that can handle games (will be mostly CSGO and HoN) well. However, it's important that it's also good at handling Video Production stuff, seeing as I work as a Motion Graphics Designer, and it's mainly for this reason that I'm upgrading.

My budget:

I'm looking to spend around $1200-$1500. However this is flexible so if there's a chance of greatly improving it by throwing in another $100 I'll consider it. I won't be buying all the parts at the same time, so I can always add to the rig.

Additional info:

- I have no preference between AMD or Nvidia for the GPU. My current laptop has an AMD card (Radeon 8750M) and it has served me well, so I'm not anti AMD. Price/performance dictates here
    - Chances are I won't have to do any 3D rendering in programs like Maya & 3DS Max, but I'll be using mostly Adobe After Effects and a little bit of Premiere. It's this kind of stuff (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XSAVqm0XBI) that I do for work.
    - I may have a lead on a friend's old 660 ti that he once offered to me for free, to use as a temporary GPU
    - If possible, and the price is close (including shipping) I'd like to get my parts from MSY, for which there's a store 20 minutes from me and so far I've found their prices on peripherals more than good (got a G502 for $60 last year and a pair of G430's for my brother for $65 a month or two ago). You can find their parts list here http://www.msy.com.au/sa/adelaide/

Thank you for all your help
    Sink or Swim...OR SURF

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 89

Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

Complex1ty     $ 20.00
    In my opinion, if you can get that GTX 660ti for free... It's perfectly fine for those games. What a steal ;D If you wanted to play newer titles though, it would be at about Medium settings at 1080p / 60 fps.

I haven't looked into Skylake (Intel) at all really so I can't come up with a build for now.
    Last edited by Complex1ty; 28-11-15 at 05:25 PM.

Banned
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Willikazam is just really nice Willikazam is just really nice Willikazam is just really nice Willikazam is just really nice Willikazam is just really nice Willikazam's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Willikazam     $ 0.00
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is mandatory to the build. Go for a relatively cheap case, Fractal Designs are nice, R4 is sick, look pretty nice too. All i'm saying is don't go overboard on a case. The 660ti is fine, 16 gigs of ram. With your budget it's definitely worth buying an SSD to install your OS on, it just makes it so much better. One or two 1TB HDD's and you're set. I'm not one to recommend motherboards or power supplies, i'll leave that to someone else.

Good luck with the build.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Willikazam For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information