+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wont be here for a bit longer. (need solution)

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%

PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz's Avatar
    Total Donations For

PotatoDreamz     $ 55.00

Wont be here for a bit longer. (need solution)

Hey guys,

Lately my computers hard drive failed, and I hadn't been on in a while.
    Well it's fixed now, although it is a school laptop that I own on part of a program at school, and this is what they did:
    -Replace the keyboard (for no reason)
    -Replaced burnt out hard drive
    -Updated from Windows 7 to Windows 8 (Ew)
    -Updated school filters (BlueCoat) and security with Windows 8.

So the problem with this is that they place a Proxy Filter built into my laptop as well as having one at school. I found a way to by pass this before the hard drive sh*t itself. They most likely gave me the filthy windows 8 because there was a new update for it only available on this windows version. So, I went to see if I could by pass it the same way I did before, but now they've added some new security sh*t to it. This is totally f*cking stupid because:
    1. I bought the laptop off them, and I deserve to have right to things such as task manager, C drive etc.
    2. Why the f*ck would I need a proxy filter while at home when they got one on the schooling network in which I never take the f*ckin thing to school anyway!?
    3. What the f*ck is their business in keeping me off other sites at home?!

Now that I have no access to even getting on the steam website to download it I can't even get onto CSS for the time being. If anyone has any solutions to help be bypass this dumbass bluecoat proxy filter please tell me, it'd come in good hand.

If needed to know these are the main things it denies my access to:
    - C:/
    - CMD
    - Task Manager
    - Administrative tools
    - PC settings
    - Downloads
    -Connecting to other networks besides the school (I bypassed this by using an ethernet cable (dum f*cks))

My original way to bypassing (completely deleting it)

I use to just delete the thing, i'd end the process in task manager and I'd have to quickly delete the folder in C:/ as it has a quick automatic restart.

Before that method, my Dad and I found a way to just disable it through my Device Manager.

Thanks guys, if any solutions please help.
    Last edited by PotatoDreamz; 18-12-14 at 12:51 PM.

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 89

Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

Complex1ty     $ 20.00
    Well, shit.

I thought the Government or School was funding the Laptops, at least here in SA that was the case. If you bought it from them and they take control of it (more than they do here) then well, you're screwed :/

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Complex1ty For This Useful Post:

PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz has a reputation beyond repute PotatoDreamz's Avatar
    Total Donations For

PotatoDreamz     $ 55.00
    I get that man, it's just that I don't see the point of blocking things at home as well at school. I can't even access the computers actual documents on D:/, I can only really save stuff at school using a specific network drive. I can get rid of this easily by claiming my laptop, getting rid of the free repairs etc, but I'd still have to wait 6-10 weeks before doing so. When I put in back in for repair, they added more useless things.

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 89

Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

Complex1ty     $ 20.00
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoDreamz View Post
    I get that man, it's just that I don't see the point of blocking things at home as well at school. I can't even access the computers actual documents on D:/, I can only really save stuff at school using a specific network drive. I can get rid of this easily by claiming my laptop, getting rid of the free repairs etc, but I'd still have to wait 6-10 weeks before doing so. When I put in back in for repair, they added more useless things.

I guess the previous 3 years have shown that Students do not look after their laptops and do other things such as Skype and Games.

Some of the stories I've heard from family, kids leaving their laptops in the rain, throwing them, bricking them... Who knows what else... You can blame them

How does that even happen... Or is it just me. Had my first phone (Some Nokia Flip phone) for like 4 years without a scratch. Got an iPhone 4, no case / screen protector... Other than like 1 scratch on the outside due to a friend dropping my phone... It looks brand new and yet people break their phones every 3 months. Even Laptops, sister was saying people have broken screens, keys pulled off... WTF?
    Last edited by Complex1ty; 18-12-14 at 02:36 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Complex1ty For This Useful Post:

Total Donations For

PotatoDreamz     $ 55.00
    I guess you're right about that, I could blame them for that type of stuff. At our school at least 2/3's of the desktops have keys pulled off the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex1ty View Post
    Had my first phone (Some Nokia Flip phone) for like 4 years without a scratch.
    But that's a Nokia

Superman Swag
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 665
    regs123 has a reputation beyond repute regs123 has a reputation beyond repute regs123 has a reputation beyond repute regs123 has a reputation beyond repute regs123 has a reputation beyond repute regs123 has a reputation beyond repute regs123 has a reputation beyond repute regs123 has a reputation beyond repute regs123 has a reputation beyond repute regs123 has a reputation beyond repute regs123 has a reputation beyond repute regs123's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [T] regs123     $ 0.00
    I thought you were dying with that thread title.

Squallkins - SLEEP is now playing Counter Strike Source
    regs: Did Anna teach you how to play counter strike while sleeping?
    Squallkins - SLEEP: F**k off, don't talk shit about Anna m8.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to regs123 For This Useful Post:

Total Donations For

PotatoDreamz     $ 55.00
    I am because F*wits at school ;n;

Alley Cat
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 244
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] TC_TopCat     $ 0.00
    Can you install windows 7 to a high spec 32GB/64GB USB3 flash drive and configure the BIOS to boot from USB-HDD?
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=21340
    Then you have no restrictions
    TopCats Rebelling Guide + Seargent_Stoners Wardening Guide + Mellows Guard Guide
    Processor: Intel i5-3570K @ 3.5GHz w\ Corsair H55 liquid cooling
    Graphics: 2GB ASUS GTX-670
    PSU: Corsair HX-850W
    RAM: G.Skill 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 1600Mhz
    Monitor: LG 120Hz 3D W2363D
    SSD: 120GB Corsair Force Series 3
    HDD: WD Caviar Green 500GB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TC_TopCat For This Useful Post:

Work 4 Government
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 13.0%

HawK has a reputation beyond repute HawK has a reputation beyond repute HawK has a reputation beyond repute HawK has a reputation beyond repute HawK has a reputation beyond repute HawK has a reputation beyond repute HawK has a reputation beyond repute HawK has a reputation beyond repute HawK has a reputation beyond repute HawK has a reputation beyond repute HawK has a reputation beyond repute HawK's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] HawK     $ 30.00
    That's unfortunate, but you shouldn't of purchased a laptop from your school if you wanted unrestricted access. Main reason for filtering and locking down your laptop is to not compromising their network with someone accessing it with an unknown, unsecured device.
    Formatting/deleting the HDD is never the way to go, yet everyone likes to do it.

I don't know much about the software "bluecoat" or what components of it are installed, but there could be a good chance that the software is used to authenticate you into the school's network. Removing everything just to re-install windows 7 so you can access the root directory and play CSS, then finding out you need those filters back so you can use your laptop at school, then I don't know why you got the laptop for.

Over here in NZ, we just buy our own personal laptop to bring (only @ uni) and connect wireless with the preshared key and then our own user login to the file servers and website. My friend in Brisbane works at a college doing all the I.T stuff and locking down their school's internet for people trying to bypass it via anonymous web surfing sites and VPN ports.

But yeah, best method is to do what topcat suggested. You can just unplug the USB flash drive for whenever you take the laptop to school.
    *Donates $10*
    11:25 AM <[DtK] [C] Squall>
    Thanks Hawk, i got enough for MW3 and BF3 now
    8:33 PM - morpheus: not only we have to put up with shitters
    8:33 PM - morpheus: we have to do chors

Total Donations For

PotatoDreamz     $ 55.00
    Putting back Windows 7 like that and removing the filters wouldn't be a problem at school, I rarely use it at school. The school has its own filters on its network, and I can get them back by just plugging up an ethernet cable.

Anyway, I'm most likely gonna email the main techy at the school and try and "negotiate" my way around this, see what I can get done, and what I cannot.

Total Donations For

PotatoDreamz     $ 55.00
    Buy me pl0x Topcat

Alley Cat
    TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat has a reputation beyond repute TC_TopCat's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

Quick note for clarification- if you install Win7 to the USB, it wont be cross-compatible with other devices and computers- it will work only for the specific device.

Alley Cat
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

Actually another suggestion- split the HDD partitions and use dual-boot.
    I just did this on Burls laptop so she can use one OS when she is at school teaching and a different one when she is using the device at home.
    You can do whatever combination you like as long as the room for the partition is there.
    EG: 100GB dedicated to Windows 8 w\ secondary 400GB Win7 boot
    EG: 100GB dedicated to Windows XP w\ secondary 400GB Win7 boot
    EG: 100GB dedicated to Win7 w\ secondary 400GB Win7 boot

Up to you, but the split partitions wont compromise your device or data in any way. I think Win7 and beyond allow you to split partitions in device manager. One of Burls OS's was WinXP so I needed some linux tools to do the split in BIOS for me.
    Last edited by TC_TopCat; 22-12-14 at 12:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information