Closed Thread

Thread: Zoo Themed Jb Map ! and Competetion !!!

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 0%

Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [V] Atariowns     $ 10.00

Zoo Themed Jb Map ! and Competetion !!!

Hey guys ! hows it going ! Atari here !

Say about two years ago I had an idea for a Jb map where instead of cells the t's spawn in Animals cages like at the Zoo . Me with my some what minimal knowledge of Hammer editor persuded the idea and I have been working on it ever since on and of . I wanted my map to be simple and easy to get around with big open spaces and with no confusing corridors and be easy even for new players to learn the map .

Just wana say again I am no mapping expert like the godlike New Guy. Just thought it was something different with a different theme . There is nothing amazingly complex in my map , However I just made a map in my vision that would be fun and simple .

So far my map contains Gunroom , medic , 3 cells/cages , climb , maze , bhop , jumprope ,wipeout , soccer , main cage ,Guntoss ramp and a Helicopter !

I'll just highlight and show u guys some pictures of the main things .

The cells/cages - My idea for the cells were to make it more fun , Instead of just breaking props and practing ur bhopping , with playing with balls , climbing , more hiding options , space to move around and in one of my cells I put a mini soccer in for kicks .

Maze - Simple hedge maze

Climb - Medium experience level climb , not 2 eazy , not 2 hard .

Bhop - Not sure how this one will plan out seeing as people's bhop skills are different 2 others . keeping it in mind I made it fairly simple .

Soccer - Pretty basic , there are to many maps out there with massive fields so I made it small .

Helicopter - hahaha if u haven't already noticed I flat out copyed this from kajoly . Thought it would be cool to have a helicopter in my map so people can have fun with it . also I made it so u can fly out side of the map to . Hated how you could only fly the helicopter in kajoly only in a small area . =)

To be brutally honest I copied jumrope and wipeout from spy vs spy . Could not be ♥♥♥♥ed making it from scratch seeing as the spy vs spy version was exactly what I wanted anyway , however I changed some textures around and removed some blocks .

I didn't add a pool and disco because I feel these days they are not used enough . Plus if I had a disco the map file would be really massive and annoying to download .

I have heaps of ideas for the map one being a minigame where an area of the map is designated for clay shooting . Were t's go in and get scouts and ct's are protected however they can still shoot the t's . Thought clay shooting in JB was a cool idea .

COMPETITION !!! WIN A AK REDLINE !!

http://www.filedropper.com/jbzooalphav1

So how this competition works is I have placed 5 skulls around the map and the first person to take a photo of all 5 skulls and post them in this thread will receive an ak redline . =D !

COMPETITION !!! WIN A AK REDLINE !! ^

I don't expect much from this map and if my map were 2 be played once with you lovely people for just a round that would legit make it all worth it . If you guys like my map , then I would be more then happy to pass it of to someone who actually knows what there doing =P !

heres the link again if you guys wana download it

I love constructive criticism , so if you guys have ideas , things you like , things you hate then be sure to leave a post =) .

Cheers Atariowns !

Spell and Grammer checked by my Mummy !
    Last edited by Atariowns; 16-12-14 at 03:12 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atariowns For This Useful Post:

DTK Meth Lab Owner
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 658

Jetpackin has a reputation beyond repute Jetpackin has a reputation beyond repute Jetpackin has a reputation beyond repute Jetpackin has a reputation beyond repute Jetpackin has a reputation beyond repute Jetpackin has a reputation beyond repute Jetpackin has a reputation beyond repute Jetpackin has a reputation beyond repute Jetpackin has a reputation beyond repute Jetpackin has a reputation beyond repute Jetpackin has a reputation beyond repute Jetpackin's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Jetpackin     $ 51.38
    Haha this looks sick, nice concept too
    Jetpackin': wtf weirdo
    Illumifarti: thats wot the doctor said wen u were born
    Illumifarti: OOO
    Jetpackin': hahahaha
    Jetpackin': the doctor put u on the registered pedophiles list as soon as he saw ur face

Resident Crayfish
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 690

KT has a reputation beyond repute KT has a reputation beyond repute KT has a reputation beyond repute KT has a reputation beyond repute KT has a reputation beyond repute KT has a reputation beyond repute KT has a reputation beyond repute KT has a reputation beyond repute KT has a reputation beyond repute KT has a reputation beyond repute KT has a reputation beyond repute KT's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] KT     $ 451.55
    Really liked the map yesterday when you were testing it, theme is pretty cool; hopefully we can see your map added to JB's rotation in the near future would be nice. good work atari.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KT For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 89

Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty has a reputation beyond repute Complex1ty's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

Complex1ty     $ 20.00
    Map needs some optimization work, framerate fluctuates heavily.

You can run on top of the wall and you can fall out of the map, I'd still block it off even if people can't get there.

Loved the helicopter, lol!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Complex1ty For This Useful Post:

Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns has a brilliant future Atariowns's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by Complex1ty View Post
    Map needs some optimization work, framerate fluctuates heavily.

You can run on top of the wall and you can fall out of the map, I'd still block it off even if people can't get there.

Loved the helicopter, lol!

I planed to optimize however I spoke with New Guy yesterday , and he figured I didn't need any optimizing , had 8 people on yesterday on a server and I didn't get any complaints . ah I didn't block it of for the use of the helicopter .

ahh cheers =) !
    Last edited by Atariowns; 16-12-14 at 04:05 PM.

y i k e s
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham has a reputation beyond repute Ham's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Ham     $ 100.00
    This map actually looks so fun, nice idea to add things to the cell area to make it more interesting than as you said, just breakin' blocks and bhop practice.

Not gonna lie, didn't think you had it in ya to produce something like this, gw atari. However I think you need to find a new mum, her grammar and spelling is almost as bad as yours.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ham For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 68

Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Bauxe     $ 20.00

Now some proper feedback. This is your first map, so as I expected, there are a few areas you should work on.

First of all, you should look into optimization using hint/skip and areaportals. Your map as a few spots that could use them, otherwise it will really hurt the fps (and the enjoyment for some people).

Second, never ever ever ever surround your map in a big skybox. That is a 'cheap' way to close off map leaks, and dramatically lowers performance. As such, you should seal it off properly. This means treating each different 'area' that may be separated by a doorway, or a wall, as a different room.

Avoid overlapping brushes, such as this:

Don't use doors for bhop. They don't allow multiple players to jump on the same block without using a separate plugin to fix them up. I'd suggest either Multiplayer bunnyhops if you want to let players jump on them as many times as they want, or Simple 1-bhop system if you only want them jumping once on each block.

For teleporters, try to use the trigger texture, as opposed to nodraw.

Often it is best to cater to all servers, rather than a single one. As such, it is a good idea to place spawn points suitable for a 64 slot server. Chances are there won't be 32 prisoners and 32 guards. (of course, if the map is for only a specific server, doesn't really matter. Although its best to future-proof it in case slots increase).

Fix console errors. Not really necessary, but always nice to do.

Code:
    ---- Host_Changelevel ----
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props/de_dust/du_palm_tree01_skybx.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props/de_dust/palm_tree_head_skybox.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props/de_dust/palm_tree_head_skybox.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props/cs_militia/trees1.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props/cs_assault/ladder_tall.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props/cs_assault/ladder_tall.mdl)
    Attempted to create unknown entity type info_ladder!
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    func_physbox (func_physbox) at (-1809.830 482.120 128.500) using obsolete or unknown material type.
    func_physbox (func_physbox) at (815.000 2678.000 201.000) using obsolete or unknown material type.
    Set motd from file 'motd.txt'.  ('cfg/motd.txt' was not found.)
    Set motd_text from file 'cfg/motd_text_default.txt'.  ('cfg/motd_text.txt' was not found.)
    Invalid terrorist spawnpoint at (-119.7,112.1,112.1)
    Invalid terrorist spawnpoint at (-475.0,112.1,112.1)
    Invalid terrorist spawnpoint at (-2364.0,125.5,125.5)
    Invalid counterterrorist spawnpoint at (-1781.2,127.0,127.0)
    If you have any questions, feel free to pm me or add me on steam or whatever. I'm bored, I need something to do.

edit:

Soccerballs should also be more spherical, and lighter. Also best have it templated and re-settable rather than teleporting the ball after a team scores.

edit edit:

also some proper lighting goes a long way. Worth looking into.
    Last edited by Bauxe; 16-12-14 at 05:05 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bauxe For This Useful Post:

Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by Like_a_Bauxe View Post

Now some proper feedback. This is your first map, so as I expected, there are a few areas you should work on.

First of all, you should look into optimization using hint/skip and areaportals. Your map as a few spots that could use them, otherwise it will really hurt the fps (and the enjoyment for some people).

Second, never ever ever ever surround your map in a big skybox. That is a 'cheap' way to close off map leaks, and dramatically lowers performance. As such, you should seal it off properly. This means treating each different 'area' that may be separated by a doorway, or a wall, as a different room.

Avoid overlapping brushes, such as this:

Don't use doors for bhop. They don't allow multiple players to jump on the same block without using a separate plugin to fix them up. I'd suggest either Multiplayer bunnyhops if you want to let players jump on them as many times as they want, or Simple 1-bhop system if you only want them jumping once on each block.

For teleporters, try to use the trigger texture, as opposed to nodraw.

Often it is best to cater to all servers, rather than a single one. As such, it is a good idea to place spawn points suitable for a 64 slot server. Chances are there won't be 32 prisoners and 32 guards. (of course, if the map is for only a specific server, doesn't really matter. Although its best to future-proof it in case slots increase).

Fix console errors. Not really necessary, but always nice to do.

Code:
    ---- Host_Changelevel ----
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props/de_dust/du_palm_tree01_skybx.mdl)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props/cs_militia/trees1.mdl)
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    Can't init info_ladder
    func_physbox (func_physbox) at (-1809.830 482.120 128.500) using obsolete or unknown material type.
    func_physbox (func_physbox) at (815.000 2678.000 201.000) using obsolete or unknown material type.
    Set motd from file 'motd.txt'. ('cfg/motd.txt' was not found.)
    Set motd_text from file 'cfg/motd_text_default.txt'. ('cfg/motd_text.txt' was not found.)
    Invalid terrorist spawnpoint at (-119.7,112.1,112.1)
    Invalid terrorist spawnpoint at (-475.0,112.1,112.1)
    Invalid terrorist spawnpoint at (-2364.0,125.5,125.5)
    Invalid counterterrorist spawnpoint at (-1781.2,127.0,127.0)
    If you have any questions, feel free to pm me or add me on steam or whatever. I'm bored, I need something to do.
    First of GRATS FOR WINNING MY COMPETITION !!! =D ! message me for ur Ak Redline !

ill also give u a buzz about opti and errors ! I anit worried if its not perfect , I just wanted to get it done .

Development Team
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 62
    imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [SA] imthenewguy     $ 0.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Atariowns View Post
    First of GRATS FOR WINNING MY COMPETITION !!! =D ! message me for ur Ak Redline !

ill also give u a buzz about opti and errors ! I anit worried if its not perfect , I just wanted to get it done .
    He decompiled it in hammer, give him a scolding not a skin

Also, the optimization isn't an issue due to the lack of content in the map. I wouldn't hurt of course, but I don't think it would make that much of a difference in most areas.

The map is good, would need a good warden to make it really fun. If a model isn't appearing (that you made a prop_static) change it to a prop_dynamic_ornamental (or override) so it will appear with the correct shadows.

Nice to see you finally release a map.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to imthenewguy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 68

Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Bauxe     $ 20.00
    Quote Originally Posted by imthenewguy View Post
    He decompiled it in hammer, give him a scolding not a skin

Also, the optimization isn't an issue due to the lack of content in the map. I wouldn't hurt of course, but I don't think it would make that much of a difference in most areas.

The map is good, would need a good warden to make it really fun. If a model isn't appearing (that you made a prop_static) change it to a prop_dynamic_ornamental (or override) so it will appear with the correct shadows.

Nice to see you finally release a map.
    I believe the actual issue with the map isn't that it is poorly optimized (which is still the case of course), but that the skybox is actually missing a wall. As such, there are leaks, resulting in poor lighting, and very low FPS in some sections of the map (300 -> 50).

edit: also, found the skulls through noclip as I was exploring the map. They weren't overly hard to come across :P

Banned Able has a spectacular aura about Able has a spectacular aura about Able's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Able     $ 0.00
    this looks so sexy. it would be so much more cooler if u put little flash grenades all over the map changing how you look. like a Bear, tiger, wolf etc. also you could add a race course to see who's the fastest animal xD. I love it, hopefully u get done with the issues and make it a dtk map D

Closed Thread

Thread Information