+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VIP Skins suggestion

Boobies
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Muffbag     $ 454.39

VIP Skins suggestion

I'll keep this as short as I can ...

Firstly, I'm not hating on the VIP skin sets, personally, I think they're pretty awesome...

All but one of the VIP skins are predominantly black for both CT and T, even people who are used to seeing them being used still accidentally shoot at a teammate wearing them. While it doesn't really make a difference on servers like mini games or jail break, it does on servers where Friendly Fire is on by default like the Gun Game servers, it can make all the difference.

So, my suggestion/request is, at least on the GG servers ... can we PLEASE have the the VIP skins colour coordinated in tune with the Red for T's and blue for ct's, mainly to help against the increased 'accidental' wounding and or killing from teammates.

Perfect example would be the GGDM server ....
    Anyone who plays on it with the VIP skins will more than likely know what I'm talking about when I say that the team wounding/killing is increased so much when we're wearing the VIP skins. It's mainly because sometimes it's hard to tell what team someone is on in a split second if they're clad in almost all black....
    Whereas if we have them colour coordinated, we'd be less likely to end up with a bullet from a teammate.
    I'd like to wear the VIP skins as much as possible to help advertise (for lack of a better word) the donator/vip package, but with the team wounding/killing while I'm using the skins at the moment, it makes the rounds a bit more uhm, difficult than they need to be.

Am not trying to have a whinge, just giving reason for my suggestion is all..

Thank you and have a fabulous day. =)
    If you have a problem on any of our servers, record a demo [Link to Guide] and submit it to SourceBans [Link to Guide] one of our administrators will be more than happy to assist in making sure our servers are enjoyable and fair for everybody.

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
    • Worth: $1576
    • Games owned: 123
    • Games not played: 53 (43%)
    • Hours spent: 9,166h

Large Member
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 6.0%

daillvibe has a reputation beyond repute daillvibe has a reputation beyond repute daillvibe has a reputation beyond repute daillvibe has a reputation beyond repute daillvibe has a reputation beyond repute daillvibe has a reputation beyond repute daillvibe has a reputation beyond repute daillvibe has a reputation beyond repute daillvibe has a reputation beyond repute daillvibe has a reputation beyond repute daillvibe has a reputation beyond repute daillvibe's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [LM] daillvibe     $ 30.00
    This is an excellent point. I love the skins & effects you can get, they're a great incentive to get involved so I want them around.

Like Becca though I don't see why the skins can't be a little more in line with the colours of the teams. As it is now it's almost like the skins are deliberately designed to look like the oppositions kit - especially when you think we have the dtk member skins, the top 200 skins, the top 50 skins & the admin skins - none of which cause any confusion. On many servers this isn't an issue but on a fast paced server with friendly fire on.. I'll admit I've lost many a level due to tk'ing the new skin wearers.

Maybe if my aim was better.... :P
    Last edited by daillvibe; 20-11-13 at 11:03 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daillvibe For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 363

Terminat0r has a reputation beyond repute Terminat0r has a reputation beyond repute Terminat0r has a reputation beyond repute Terminat0r has a reputation beyond repute Terminat0r has a reputation beyond repute Terminat0r has a reputation beyond repute Terminat0r has a reputation beyond repute Terminat0r has a reputation beyond repute Terminat0r has a reputation beyond repute Terminat0r has a reputation beyond repute Terminat0r has a reputation beyond repute Terminat0r's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Terminat0r     $ 10.00
    not a whinge at all,this is perfect. I assume everyone on gg4 really has a hard time dealing with the constant team killing cuz of our skins we donated for I really hope they'll be a new design to suit proper colours please. i can name lots of people who have to rage cuz they have trouble with the skins! thank you Becca!

Chocolate Buddha
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Overall activity: 99.3%

Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [JA] Samatron     $ 175.00
    I like them for the exact reason you hate them. Its so awesome strolling through the ct spawn with my black suit on stabbing people who think I'm on their team. To make it more fun we should play corners_call too.
    SAMATRON
    Chocolate Buddha

"Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think"
    - Buddha

"I would prefer even to fail with honor than win by cheating."
    - Sophocles.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Samatron For This Useful Post:

Fellowship of the Ducks
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Squall has disabled reputation Squall's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [C] Squall     $ 15.00
    It's not as simple as changing a server setting and voila the skin color changes. The model files will need to be edited for this to happen.

If there is a talented individual among the DtK Community who can do modelling/skinning, please let me know.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Squall For This Useful Post:

Development Team
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 62
    imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [SA] imthenewguy     $ 0.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall View Post
    It's not as simple as changing a server setting and voila the skin color changes. The model files will need to be edited for this to happen.

If there is a talented individual among the DtK Community who can do modelling/skinning, please let me know.
    You could simply change the colour tone of the skin using CVARs from Source Mod.

Keep the skins but set the colour values differently (T= 255 0 0, CT= 0 0 255).

Will probably need to tinker with the colour values to get a imposing enough colour without ruining the look of the skin.

Fellowship of the Ducks

Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by imthenewguy View Post
    You could simply change the colour tone of the skin using CVARs from Source Mod.

Keep the skins but set the colour values differently (T= 255 0 0, CT= 0 0 255).

Will probably need to tinker with the colour values to get a imposing enough colour without ruining the look of the skin.
    That's not really changing the skin color. It will also cause issues with existing plugins (e.g JB rebel colors) or future plugins that allow players to change their appearance e.g player glows.

Development Team
    imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by Squall View Post
    That's not really changing the skin color. It will also cause issues with existing plugins (e.g JB rebel colors) or future plugins that allow players to change their appearance e.g player glows.
    True, but it would offer a temp fix for the GG issue where friendly fire can impact.
    The skins in JB are perfect - easily identifiable.

Boobies

Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag has a reputation beyond repute Muffbag's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

With the suggestion I was actually leaning toward a different skin/model set for donators that would accommodate the red/blue specifically for the servers with FF on.

It could be used as a stepping stone honestly.

All of our servers are different, so why not tailor the VIP/Donator package as per server. Different skins for different server type. It could even help bring in more donators...

For example (Keep in mind these are just suggestions:
    • For JB, visibility needs to be factored in so that a T isn't mistaken for a rebel etc and also need to be sure it's not a skin that's going to conceal weapons.
    • For the gun game servers see the OP
    • Mini Games, use video game characters like toad, yoshi, sub zero, gman (the dude with the brief case, not the [V] Gman).
    I'm sure there will be some involved with the dev team who would love an opportunity to work on VIP skins. Maybe even if we have the server admins working with the dev's on custom skins. It might help bring more developer talent out of the wood works and or more would maybe be keen on learning how to.

Development Team
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by Yu Stin Ki Pu View Post
    With the suggestion I was actually leaning toward a different skin/model set for donators that would accommodate the red/blue specifically for the servers with FF on.

It could be used as a stepping stone honestly.

All of our servers are different, so why not tailor the VIP/Donator package as per server. Different skins for different server type. It could even help bring in more donators...

For example (Keep in mind these are just suggestions:
    • For JB, visibility needs to be factored in so that a T isn't mistaken for a rebel etc and also need to be sure it's not a skin that's going to conceal weapons.
    • For the gun game servers see the OP
    • Mini Games, use video game characters like toad, yoshi, sub zero, gman (the dude with the brief case, not the [V] Gman).
    I'm sure there will be some involved with the dev team who would love an opportunity to work on VIP skins. Maybe even if we have the server admins working with the dev's on custom skins. It might help bring more developer talent out of the wood works and or more would maybe be keen on learning how to.
    Im still yet to see someone capable of skinning on the team unfortunately, but like you said the opportunity might draw them out.

There are loads of skin resources available to us: from Gamebanana, Face Punch, S-low and we can even look at repackaging the client side skins to meet service side standards (would need to research the technique).

Just beware of large download files - I personally hate downloading random shit every time I join a server and if we put custom content on each server - will be a lot to download.

Boobies

Trophies
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by imthenewguy View Post
    Just beware of large download files - I personally hate downloading random shit every time I join a server and if we put custom content on each server - will be a lot to download.
    It won't be any more to download joining the servers as the current VIP package is?

Development Team
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by Yu Stin Ki Pu View Post
    It won't be any more to download joining the servers as the current VIP package is?
    I don't play many of the servers in all honesty, so forgive my ignorance if this is wrong, but aren't the VIP skins the same across the board?

If that is the case, you download it once when you join a DTK server for the first time and that's it. If there are multiple sets of skins across each server then that could post a problem, unless you select 2 skins complying to your description and put them on all of the FF servers, having only 2 sets of skins.

Fellowship of the Ducks

Total Donations For

Yes Donator skins are global which is why the current Counter-Terrorist and Terrorist themed skins were chosen. The only exception to this is JB and Zombies where skins play a major factor in the gameplay.

Having different sets of skins for all 17 servers isn't really on the horizon. Bandwidth isn't cheap, as it is we are using up around 2TB a month. If it goes more, we will end up paying more for bandwidth than the servers itself, which isn't simply feasible.

It will be good if we can get some members involved in learning skinning/modelling. Modelling can be difficult but re skinning is pretty much editing existing skin and repackaging the files.

If no luck, i can look into hiring someone.

Chocolate Buddha
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Overall activity: 99.3%

Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron has a brilliant future Samatron's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [JA] Samatron     $ 175.00
    Hey Squall, is it possible to lock out a certain skin from a particular server.

Why I ask is that the white CT skin seems to confuse many GunGamers, even a lot of the regular players are accidentally TKing this skin. I know that the model has a vest and helmet (items only CTs wear) but this seems to be of no meaning to many, especially Noobs. (It good that it shows we are getting plenty of new player on GGDM) . I wore this Skin for 2 rounds on Saturday and felt the wrath of my team mates 12 times. (i may have raged a little). Maybe if it could be restricted from use on #4 it may save a fair bit of confusion?

And if someone could make a replacement for it I would like to suggest a Batman or a Dalai Lama skin.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information