+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [MAP] Mapping Tutorial(s)

Development Team
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [SA] imthenewguy     $ 0.00

[MAP] Mapping Tutorial(s)

Hi all.

Thought I would list a heap of useful guides for the newbie mappers and the more advanced mappers.

Beginner Tutorials:

Setting up Hammer
    If you wish to start mapping on the source engine, you will need to know how to access Hammer World Editor. This is done via the Source SDK tool in the tools section of steam.
    Tutorial link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPTqbrRQsbI

Creating your first map
    This tutorial shows you how to create skyboxes, floords, walls (known as brushes) in hammer and how to create a functioning map. Very simple tutorial, great stepping stone.
    Tutorial link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=1VyoitE17Wc

Prop Basics
    Teaches you how to create props in your maps (ie desks and other furniture). Also shows you how to identify which prop type is required for each model (ie static, physics or dynamic).
    Tutorial link: http://www.tophattwaffle.com/hammer-...2-prop-basics/

Basic lighting tutorial/styles
    This tutorial shows you the different types of light you can use in your maps. If you are sick of that horrible default light you get when you don't put a light entity in the map, watch this tut.
    Tutorial link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w426id4DIFc

Intermediate Tutorials

Water, displacements and Glass
    This tutorial will give you a basic overview of water creation, displacements and glass and how to create them.
    Tutorial link: http://www.tophattwaffle.com/hammer-...d-glass-oh-my/

l/O tutorial (using death run)
    This tutorial is a good example of how to create l/O circuits. An example of a l/O circuit would be a player pressing a button, and having that button turn a light on and off.
    Tutorial link: http://www.tophattwaffle.com/hammer-...and-io-making/

Advanced tutorials

Lighting - Constant, Linear and Quadratic
    I know a lot of you have been wondering "What the ♥♥♥♥ is that Constant, linear and Quadratic setting on each of the light entities in hammer?!".
    Well wonder no more!
    This isn't a tutorial per-say, but it shows you the difference between lighting by turning each one on.
    Tutorial link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaeveBqLlzo

Elevators
    This isn't too difficult, just requires a bit of background knowledge before attempting it so i thought I would put it in the Advanced section. Basically shows you how to create a functioning elevator.
    Tutorial link: http://www.tophattwaffle.com/hammer-...al-6-elevator/

How to create a Dynamic client background
    This tutorial will show you how to make a map file into your background. This allows you to create a nice piece of scenery to use as a background in CS:S.
    This tutorial requires that you have the map file ready to be compiled.
    Example background (play at max settings on full screen): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=X2lhuby09-I
    Tutorial link: http://www.moddb.com/games/counter-s...ckground-video

Will add more tutorials as I find them.
    Last edited by imthenewguy; 24-01-13 at 12:48 AM.

Banned
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 477
    shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12's Avatar
    Total Donations For

shadowsl4yer12     $ 0.00
    New guy you are a ♥♥♥♥ing legend what would DtK members who need mapping and other various tutorials do without you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowsl4yer12 For This Useful Post:

Pro Rebel
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Plox has much to be proud of Plox has much to be proud of Plox has much to be proud of Plox has much to be proud of Plox has much to be proud of Plox has much to be proud of Plox has much to be proud of Plox has much to be proud of Plox has much to be proud of Plox's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [V] Plox     $ 0.00
    Looks Very Good, Thanks ImTheNewGuy. Very Helpful.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Plox For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 455

Knitting has a reputation beyond repute Knitting has a reputation beyond repute Knitting has a reputation beyond repute Knitting has a reputation beyond repute Knitting has a reputation beyond repute Knitting has a reputation beyond repute Knitting has a reputation beyond repute Knitting has a reputation beyond repute Knitting has a reputation beyond repute Knitting has a reputation beyond repute Knitting has a reputation beyond repute Knitting's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Knitting     $ 283.46
    Thanks new guy plenty here to keep me busy
    [SIGPIC]IMG]http://www.dying2kill.com.au/signaturepics/sigpic418_1.gif[/SIGPIC]

Some old guy
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 97.0%

Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy has a reputation beyond repute Rowdy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [LM] Rowdy     $ 55.00
    Great repository, well done
    aeGis.|DtK|
    GeeSix K.r.o.n.i.c Octave Pand3mic ReNji Rowdy

CPU: intel Core i7 7700k @ 4.6Ghz
    Cooler: Corsair H70 liquid cooler with single Scythe GT
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz 16GB (2x8GB)
    GPU: Gigabyte 1080 G1 8GB
    Board: AsRock Z270 Pro 4
    SSD: 1x840EVO 120GB, 1x850EVO 120GB, 1x LITEON 250GB
    HDD: 2x WD Caviar blacks 1TB in Raid 0
    PSU: Seasonic X-1050 80Plus Gold 1050W
    Case: Corsair 600T Black
    Mouse: Steelseries Rival 600 + SteelSeries Prism Pad
    Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB TKL (Cherry Red)
    Headset:SteelSeries Arctis 5

Monitors: BenQ XL2430T 24in LED 144Hz + Samsung 24" LED
    If you have a problem on any of our servers, record a demo [Link to Guide] and submit it to SourceBans [Link to Guide] one of our administrators will be more than happy to assist in making sure our servers are enjoyable and fair for everybody.

Development Team
    imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy has a reputation beyond repute imthenewguy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

No worries guys.

Knitting, let me know if there is anything in particular you would like to learn. Im sure I can find/write a tutorial for you.

Banned
    shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12 has a reputation beyond repute shadowsl4yer12's Avatar
    Total Donations For

I might try make a jb map

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowsl4yer12 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 37.0%

MDnK has a reputation beyond repute MDnK has a reputation beyond repute MDnK has a reputation beyond repute MDnK has a reputation beyond repute MDnK has a reputation beyond repute MDnK has a reputation beyond repute MDnK has a reputation beyond repute MDnK has a reputation beyond repute MDnK has a reputation beyond repute MDnK has a reputation beyond repute MDnK has a reputation beyond repute MDnK's Avatar
    Total Donations For

MDnK     $ 60.00
    im opposite ill start with the hard shit first and be like WTF is going on, then ill get towards beginner and go WTF this is too easy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MDnK For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Total Donations For

Already decided the theme of jb map i wanna make, it will be halo themed, halo minigames,cells,props,models all this shit racing through my head im so excited, i cant deny it.

Development Team
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by shadowsl4yer12 View Post
    Already decided the theme of jb map i wanna make, it will be halo themed, halo minigames,cells,props,models all this shit racing through my head im so excited, i cant deny it.
    Not the thread for this :P

Create a new thread in the public section or private if you want feedback from only the dev team.

a thread is a good way to get feedback for ideas on preliminary maps

Banned
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    NinjaChris is a splendid one to behold NinjaChris is a splendid one to behold NinjaChris is a splendid one to behold NinjaChris is a splendid one to behold NinjaChris is a splendid one to behold NinjaChris is a splendid one to behold NinjaChris is a splendid one to behold NinjaChris's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

NinjaChris     $ 0.00
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowsl4yer12 View Post
    New guy you are a ♥♥♥♥ing legend what would DtK members who need mapping and other various tutorials do without you.
    Be lazy shits and wait for others to make more maps.

Banned
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaChris View Post
    Be lazy shits and wait for others to make more maps.
    Hahah lol i love challenging stuff that makes me smash items in my own house lol
    But nah i needa learn to make maps on css, on halo forge is way way too easy.

Zombie Guru
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [T] Justyce333251     $ 0.00
    dont forget imthenewguy, 3kliksphillip is a great youtube channel for beginners, i learnt so much from him.

http://www.3kliksphilip.com/tutorials/sdk_specific.html

oh wow i just realised the majority of your links were 3kliksphillip -_-

meh all his hammer tutorials are listed on that link

Development Team
    Total Donations For

Quote Originally Posted by Justyce333251 View Post
    dont forget imthenewguy, 3kliksphillip is a great youtube channel for beginners, i learnt so much from him.

http://www.3kliksphilip.com/tutorials/sdk_specific.html

oh wow i just realised the majority of your links were 3kliksphillip -_-

meh all his hammer tutorials are listed on that link
    You don't want to throw an unguided link at someone. An explanation on what the tut explains is a big time saver. Good to start small until you get to the point where you can create a map from start to finish, then you can start learning random assortments of shit to get better :P

Flying Chicken
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 43

Davey_Boy has much to be proud of Davey_Boy has much to be proud of Davey_Boy has much to be proud of Davey_Boy has much to be proud of Davey_Boy has much to be proud of Davey_Boy has much to be proud of Davey_Boy has much to be proud of Davey_Boy has much to be proud of Davey_Boy has much to be proud of Davey_Boy's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Davey_Boy     $ 5.00
    Great stuff newguy!

I'm looking forward to learning more advanced mapping
    JOIN GG13 - CS:GO GunGame DM at: 119.252.190.39:27037

The Cycle Must Continue
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Synthetic has a reputation beyond repute Synthetic has a reputation beyond repute Synthetic has a reputation beyond repute Synthetic has a reputation beyond repute Synthetic has a reputation beyond repute Synthetic has a reputation beyond repute Synthetic has a reputation beyond repute Synthetic has a reputation beyond repute Synthetic has a reputation beyond repute Synthetic has a reputation beyond repute Synthetic has a reputation beyond repute Synthetic's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [V] Synthetic     $ 35.00
    ♥♥♥♥ YES! Just what I needed, thank you so much D
    Come Join us and play on the DtK Zombie Server! 45.121.211.55:27058

Thanks Stormy for the amazing sig <3

Zombie Guru
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251 has much to be proud of Justyce333251's Avatar
    Trophies
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [T] Justyce333251     $ 0.00
    Quote Originally Posted by imthenewguy View Post
    You don't want to throw an unguided link at someone. An explanation on what the tut explains is a big time saver. Good to start small until you get to the point where you can create a map from start to finish, then you can start learning random assortments of shit to get better :P
    Well to be honest :P That's how i learnt how to map, i set a goal to make a map and when i wanted to do something i didn't know how to do i'd just look it up.
    soon enough i learnt how to do everything

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 68

Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe has a reputation beyond repute Bauxe's Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [Jedi] Bauxe     $ 20.00
    Well to be honest :P That's how i learnt how to map, i set a goal to make a map and when i wanted to do something i didn't know how to do i'd just look it up.
    The basics are still more important than 'what you want to do first'. Why learn something when you can't put it to use, because you don't know the basics? Just how I see it.

regs is toy >;)
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Loading... will become famous soon enough Loading... will become famous soon enough Loading...'s Avatar
    Total Donations For

[DtK] [M] Loading...     $ 10.00
    Dont forget you guys are more then welcome to ask me and probably newguy and the more experienced (not saying im experienced but I do have a trick or two :P) for tutorials for even just a helping hand ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
    Still Loading...

Specs:
    CPU: AMD FX 8120 3.2ghz
    CPU Cooler: Hyper TX3 evo
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengence 2x4GB
    HDD: 1TB WD caviar blue
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 650 TI 2GB OC (overclocked)
    Monitor: 27" LED LCD something
    Case: BitFenix Shinobi black gaming case with window
    PSU:CoolerMaster 725W extreme II
    O/S: Windows 7 Ultimate (thanks piratebay)

Development Team
    Total Donations For

That's a good point, I was the same as well.

I have taught a fair few people to map over the years and most seem intimidated and overwhelmed when looking at the power of hammer. The best approach has been to get the basics down. So they learn how to do the skybox, the floor, roof, walls and basic entities and lighting, then basically build a simple geo map like GG or AIM. When they kind of grasp how to do that, that's when you start introducing other tutorials like weapon stripping, advanced entity property changing etc.

Everyone does learn at their own pace and i know a few people who like to be thrown straight into the deep end (myself included).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information